• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

leecotton84

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2008
I got my first beach permit in 2008 renewed it in 2009 and did not renew in 2010. So i got picked for jury duty and was in Defuniak this morning so on my way back down decided to stop in and check on the process of getting a permit for the next year starting June 1. The nice lady informed me of the lottery system and how I missed it and have to wait another year to try it again. What a JOKE!!! Its sad that small town 30a politics ruin the fun for the people who are not in the "clique".

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I got my first beach permit in 2008 renewed it in 2009 and did not renew in 2010. So i got picked for jury duty and was in Defuniak this morning so on my way back down decided to stop in and check on the process of getting a permit for the next year starting June 1. The nice lady informed me of the lottery system and how I missed it and have to wait another year to try it again. What a JOKE!!! Its sad that small town 30a politics ruin the fun for the people who are not in the "clique".

So you qualified for a permit but failed to renew, then you neglected to enter a lottery open to *anyone* (which BTW something like 75% of those who entered the lottery were selected to receive permits)...

And the reason you won't be driving on the beach this year is because you're not in a "clique" and politics have ruined the fun for you?

haha
Good stuff

Last edited:

leecotton84

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2008
if they wouldn't have changed the rules in the first place i would still be driving on the beach. i don't have to explain to you why i didn't renew or enter the lotto system. imo opinion they should pick a number of permits to issue each year and give them to who has been paying property tax the longest in the county and stick to that.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
if they wouldn't have changed the rules in the first place i would still be driving on the beach. i don't have to explain to you why i didn't renew or enter the lotto system. imo opinion they should pick a number of permits to issue each year and give them to who has been paying property tax the longest in the county and stick to that.

I really don't want you to explain to me why you didn't renew when you could have or why you didn't enter the lottery. I honestly don't care.

Just wanted to set the record straight that at the end of the day it is your fault that you didn't renew or enter the lottery and not the fault of a clique or politics.

Last edited:

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
FYI-
Here is what I understand is behind the changes:

Some federal gov't entity (EPA maybe) expressed concerns about driving on the beach at Grayton. They suggested they were going to step in and take away this priviledge to protect us from ourselves. In response, a group of locals organized and proposed some reforms that would restrict the number of issued permits so they could show the Feds that we as a community are proactively addressing their concerns in the hopes that they wouldn't step in and ruin it for all. As a result, we saw the changes for June 2010.

My understanding is that these reforms were successful in lowering the number of permits significantly and as a result the decison makers were able to issue 150 new permits for June 2011 using the lottery system (which was a suggestion by citizens). Per earlier posts in this thread, 75% of those who entered the lottery were selected to receive permits).

Last edited:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
FYI-

Some federal gov't entity (EPA maybe) expressed concerns about driving on the beach at Grayton. They suggested they were going to step in and take away this priviledge to protect us from ourselves. In response, a group of locals organized and proposed some reforms that would restrict the number of issued permits so they could show the Feds that we as a community are proactively addressing their concerns in the hopes that they wouldn't step in and ruin it for all. As a result, we saw the changes for June 2010.

My understanding is that these reforms were successful in lowering the number of permits significantly and as a result the decison makers were able to issue 150 new permits for June 2011 using the lottery system (which was a suggestion by citizens). Per earlier posts in this thread, 75% of those who entered the lottery were selected to receive permits).

Pfft. What right does the EPA have to tell us how many people can drive on our beach? If it was FDEP that might be different, but IMHO the FEDs don't have any business telling us how to manage our beaches. The results of their meddling - a whole lot of local folks who have been going down to the beach for decades are going to have to spend their time doing something else instead of what they truly enjoy. What an improvement.. NOT! And you Geo, take the side of the EPA and people implementing this policy instead of defending all the Walton County resident who've been shut out? Shame on you buddy.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Pfft. What right does the EPA have to tell us how many people can drive on our beach? If it was FDEP that might be different, but IMHO the FEDs don't have any business telling us how to manage our beaches. The results of their meddling - a whole lot of local folks who have been going down to the beach for decades are going to have to spend their time doing something else instead of what they truly enjoy. What an improvement.. NOT! And you Geo, take the side of the EPA and people implementing this policy instead of defending all the Walton County resident who've been shut out? Shame on you buddy.

Ha- Not sure whose post you're reading Shopper, old buddy, old pal...
In my post I never took sides with the EPA or anybody. I never stated my personal/political beliefs about the beach permit changes here. Hell, like I said earlier- I didn't even know which federal entity was involved. It's quite possible it was FDEP and I just botched the story. Anywho.

For the record, I only reported my understanding of the events that transpired as a courtesy to those who believe they can't get a beach permit because of an imaginary clique.

That said- I'm pretty sure the feds (or FDEP) could take away our ability to drive on the beach citing any number of laws on the books (e.g. turtles).

So stuff your shame in a sack. ;)

Last edited:

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I explained it from memory as it was told to me (by a Grayton resident) in early 2010. If I have said anything untrue, pls share what u know.

leecotton84

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2008
FYI-

your right! sorry just had to get on my soap box for a minute. im off now.