• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
So after looking at a few responses and comments in regards to the 30Atransportation....What would it take to get this going? What would it take tofund the said project? What about the local businesses, would they be willingto help sponsor, after all they are going to be dropping off individuals iffront of thier businesses? And what about the TDC?????............

My understanding is that Sunshine Shuttle has contacted numerous local businesses along 30-A asking that they sponsor (i.e. fund) the cost of operating the Tram service. So the ball is starting to roll.

Personally, I plan to encourage local businesses to participate and sponsor the service. Maybe some e-mails and calls to local businesses suggesting they participate might help Sunshine Shuttle secure more sponsors.

I am not aware of any TDC involvement as of yet.

Last edited:

tink2010

Beach Comber
Jan 25, 2010
Being a local to the area I feel it would be terrific to have a trolley on 30a. Me and my children spend loads of time is Seaside and Seagrove during the summer months, it would be nice to park the truck and be able to not have to fight traffic, just jump on the trolley and get off where we want then get back on when we are done. For those who choose to sponsor it would benifial as far as advertising goes to promote your buisness by advertising on the trolley it self. I believe it would also be more environmentally healthy. Less vehicles means less output. Also with gas prices being so high, why would you want to drive your vehicle up and down 30A and at times sitting at a standstill because of all the traffic?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am still checking on details, but so far I think the TDC can't fund the shuttle, but they can pay for advertising on the shuttle, advertising for the shuttle program, and the shuttle stop signs.

mdfamily5

Beach Comber
May 24, 2011
So how does one know that the TDC cannot fund the shuttle itself? And trully, can they pay for the advertising and shuttle stop signs? How would one get the TDC to be more involved in this said situation? Would it be wise to petition the TDC for help or would the cost of the shuttle fall directly to the sponsors of the shuttle(i.e. the business)?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I asked people who know such things.

There are specific rules as to what bed tax money can be used for - despite what I/we would LIKE to spend all that money on, it is limited to marketing the area, beach nourishment, beach maintenance, and support of the Panama City Airport (and yes, that last one makes no sense to me either).

Latest per the Sun:
http://www.waltonsun.com/news/tram-6892-week-service.html
The 30-A Tram service developed by Sunshine Shuttle will not yet be operational for the Memorial Day week, but we are hoping to have it up and running by the following week.
While we are in the final lap of getting to our goal of becoming operational, we want to thank the business leaders who are supporting the 30-A Tram service. Our service plan is based on having drop-off and pick-up stops only at the subscribing communities and businesses on 30-A.
Sunshine Shuttle will have two resort style trolleys that will provide safe and fun experiences for the riders. Since each trolley has 30 passenger seats, the two trolleys have the potential to reduce up to 60 vehicles being on 30-A every hour. The trolleys will make two stops at every stop each hour. They will run from noon until 2:00 a.m. (approximately).
We continue to have many inquiries about the service, and if your readers are interested in having the trolleys stop at their businesses, they should call Sunshine Shuttle at 850-974-9911. Information and a map will be linked to all the subscribing businesses and on the following websites: Tourist Development Council, Walton County Chamber of Commerce, SoWal.com, 30A.com, and 30atram.com.

And the latest map - blue triangles are stops, red circles are potential stops where the local businesses/communities have not signed up. Looks like Gulf Place, Seaside, Grayton, Stinky's, and one I can't identify neat Topsail are the confirmed stops so far.
http://www.30atram.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Update on the trolley?

For howlin at the moon next week, having the trolley drop us off at Grayton Corners, even the Red Bar, would be grayt:) Ellen

mdfamily5

Beach Comber
May 24, 2011
So does anyone know just what we are looking at in order to get this going? What will it take for the businesses to want to sponsor this? Do they not realize that this would help with the traffic issue at hand!! Not to mention that the businesses will attract more individual if they were to have a stop at their place of business!!

librarian

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2009
not a business owner but freq visitor and hopefully someday rental property owner who sees much potential-i'd love to go from seacrest to goatfeathers for fresh fish without tieing up the car and i can see much value to rental property owners etc. we can say-you spent the gas to get here now just use the bikes and tram and don't' worry about driving (bad slogan i'm not in marketing) i think it would be better to spend extra $ on food, art etc than gas and enjoy the scenery.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
disappointed. thought it would have been up and running by now - after Memorial Day weekend. I guess summer season has just started. hope you get it going. Clearwater Beach had/has one. $1 charge maybe. Nice for bar hopping and seeing other parts of the area. Ellen