• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Seeing how these districts must last for at least 10 years, we are one of the fastest growing counties in Florida, and the vast majority of the growth is occurring south of the bay, doesn't it make sense to plan for that?

I know that the districts must be generally evenly divided, but IMO a map that currently has 11,100 in a district in the north and 10,900 in a district in the south would not be the worst scenario ever given current trends.

TechPyle

Beach Lover
May 10, 2009
Way over the rainbow
Crap like this is why I am not at all concerned about Mr. Rees running again.

Brenda loves maps and wants the new districts to be geographically logical, not gerrymandered nonsense.

I do not know Mrs. Rees personally and she may indeed love maps. Her involvement may be just her trying to create a better way of dividing the county into districts but anytime someone that has political ties begins by sending a letter to the editor before presenting their proposal it makes me suspicious. Of course I am jaded and may be completely wrong. I guess that when we get to see her proposal we can all make our own decision based on how she drew the boundaries.

After looking over all of the maps including the one submitted by Mrs. Rees I cannot see how her map would directly help her or her husband. I must say my initial contempt at this was proven wrong. I appologize for doubting her.

As to the proposals themselves I think the real question is do you want three commissioners or two in south Walton. I currently like proposals with two districts because it puts two commissioners who must either wholy or mostly deal with the south instead of three commissioners with two that have little steak in the south, but that is just me. Who knows maybe someone will find a better way of dividing the county.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The theory that the south end could have 3 commissioners is crap and I'd love to hear Ms. McQuiston sell that north of the bay. The fact is that we don't have a commissioner now that represents the south. MS. Jones proved that when she submitted expense forms showing a 30 mile drive to and from work.

The interesting part of the meeting was when citizens showed disapproval of map 3D and requested it be removed. The committee without thought denied the request.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The Rees plan actually dilutes the representation in District 5

District 5
South of Intracoastal - 4882
North of Intracoastal - 6083

District 5 is currently 100% South of the intercoastal.

This plan also displaces two sitting commissioner's from their current districts. Whats the chance that they would vote for that ????

Bob,

You are either mistaken or lieing. Ms. Rees's map does not dilute district 5, in fact it keeps in in the compact zone it is supposed to be. Map 3D, however, does dilute district 5. Also, you can contact the GIS department and verify that her map does not displace any commissioner.

You and Ms. McQuiston seem to be on a mission of misinformation and it makes me wonder why you are both pushing for a map that is a clear violation of state law? Anyone can read the statutes and pretty quickly realize that map 3D would result in a loosing lawsuit for the taxpayers of this county. I wonder how much they'll settle for this time?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
At this time, the population breakdown/allowed variances do not allow for 2 districts completely south of the bay. We're about 4K short.

(Thanks to litken for emailing me all the math breakdowns and explanations).

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Pretty strong assertions there SWGB.

My interest in this process came to an end when the math did not work to establish two distinctly south of the bay districts.

I have no reason to provide inaccurate information or lie. It appears that the map posted here by someone else and purported to be Brenda's map was not in fact her map.

Haven't attended a single meeting and have no plans to attend in the future, particularly if held in Paxton.

I am sure that it will all work out in the future with all of the interest at this time.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Does anyone else think that maybe the next meeting should be held in south Walton or at least south of I-10 since that is the locale where the most concerned taxpayers reside? I looked at the printed agenda from the last meeting and it does not look like any place or time for the next meeting was set in stone. I'm guessing the Paxtonians will not worry too much about the change in venue.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Does anyone else think that maybe the next meeting should be held in south Walton or at least south of I-10 since that is the locale where the most concerned taxpayers reside? I looked at the printed agenda from the last meeting and it does not look like any place or time for the next meeting was set in stone. I'm guessing the Paxtonians will not worry too much about the change in venue.

So they should not get a turn? Don't you owe me a hot dog?