• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
This was forward to me this morning. Does anyone know about this secret committee or know of who the members are ?

Date: Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:51 AM
Subject: (no subject)
To: comsara@co.walton.fl.us, brascott@co.walton.fl.us, joncecilia@co.walton.fl.us, prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us
Cc: tom@thossteininc.com, hmcdestin@earthlink.net, victorsea@aol.com, cgc2oaks@aol.com, richard@austindouglas.net, irealty@aol.com, wrobertnelson@gmail.com, dave@adlovell.com, bwyrough@embarqmail.com

May 25, 2011

To: Sara Comander, Scott Brennan, Cecelia Jones, Larry Jones, Kenneth Pridgen,Thomas Stein, Alan Newsome, Victor Bowman, Charlotte Flynt, Richard Fowlkes,David Kramer, Robert Nelson, Dave Lovell, William E. Wyrough:

It has come to my attention that there now exists a citizen sub-division of the Code Enforcement department. I am profoundly troubled by this (once again) behind-closed-doors decision and have several questions as a result:

1. Can you confirm this? Does such a group exist?

2. Who are they? What are their names, and what qualifies them for this position?

3. What is their charter? Do they have decision-making power regarding compliance and fines?

4. To whom are they responsible? Do they answer to the commissioners? The citizens of Walton County?

5. Who assigned these people to this position?

6. In the interest of fairness and justice, why is it that – to my knowledge – there is not a single wedding industry professional on this board?

7. Why, as a citizen of Walton County was this not made public to me and why did I not have a right to sit on the board as well?

Again, as I asked in my email of 5/23/11, the contents of this ordinance need to be made public. If I am being affected by it, I have the right to know what it includes.

Please do not ignore this letter as you have my last. I am a tax payer, I am a citizen of this county, I am deeply suspicious of these events and I have a right to answers. It’s high time you displayed some intestinal fortitude and integrity.

Sincerely,
Kim Pitchford
Dine by Design Catering, LLC

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Sara Comander's office received her email but indicated they had no idea what she was talking about. I can only gather that she feels it is OK to ignore the land use code and hold events for commercial gain in venues that are designated "residential only". I am a taxpayer, resident and citizen of Walton County as well and do not like to see our land use codes ignored and misused.

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
There is NO secret "citizen sub-division of the Code Enforcement department"...period. All members of the Code Enforcement Board are publicly appointed by the Walton County Commissioners.

The board consists of professionals from MANY fields of expertise. These people are architects, contractors and other building, legal and zoning experts (no wedding industry professionals!) that take complaints from citizens and attempt to resolve particular issues. This is NOT always done with fines. Most issues are resolved through negotiations with the offenders and are done simply to bring them into compliance with current county and state laws...not to punish them.

To state that "It’s high time you displayed some intestinal fortitude and integrity" is insulting to these professionals and the incredibly difficult job they do in this rapidly growing area. This letter was "ignored" because it is about something that doesn't exist and makes no sense.

Paranoia and ignorance are a dangerous combination. Let's try to get your own ship together before you go rocking someone else's boat.

And, the Code Enforcement Board meetings are held at 6pm on the third Thursday of every month at the South Walton Courthouse Annex in Santa Rosa Beach. They are always open to the public.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Is the "citizen subdivision" rumor somehow related to the "community volunteer" (or whatever it says) Sheriff's vehicle?:dunno:

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I'm not sure what types of enforcement is being handled by the "Volunteer Citizens Patrol," but I saw one last week with flashing lights which had a car pulled over on Hwy 98. My understanding was that the Volunteer Citizens Patrol would be used to handle parking tickets for the wedding houses, which seems to fall under code enforcement and Sheriffing duties. My best guess is that this is what the writer was referring to in her letter.

Sounds like a great idea! Having the volunteer citizens patrol giving parking tickets for wedding houses frees the real police for real emergencies and real police work while still enforcing the existing land use codes! Win/Win situation if you ask me! ;)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I'm not sure what types of enforcement is being handled by the "Volunteer Citizens Patrol," but I saw one last week with flashing lights which had a car pulled over on Hwy 98. My understanding was that the Volunteer Citizens Patrol would be used to handle parking tickets for the wedding houses, which seems to fall under code enforcement and Sheriffing duties. My best guess is that this is what the writer was referring to in her letter.

Since a traffic stop is about the most dangerous activity, other than domestic disturbances, that a LEO undertakes, would not be more likely that someone was broken down and they stopped to assist?