• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
If you think there is plenty of room on that section of 30A when riding bikes, you probably have never ridden your bike across it. It's not too bad if you aren't meeting oncoming bikers, but it can be crazy tight when you do, especially with automobile drivers who are not focused on driving.

Yes, $500K is a lot of money, but if building it saves lives, it seems cheap. Medical expenses for one serious collision could cost that much, easily.
I agree that it's unsafe there and needs to be changed. But I wonder if there's a way to build the bridge for less money?

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
If you think there is plenty of room on that section of 30A when riding bikes, you probably have never ridden your bike across it. It's not too bad if you aren't meeting oncoming bikers, but it can be crazy tight when you do, especially with automobile drivers who are not focused on driving.

Yes, $500K is a lot of money, but if building it saves lives, it seems cheap. Medical expenses for one serious collision could cost that much, easily.

Absolutely agree! I cross that bridge daily, and it scares the bejesus outta me because I am constantly seeing families with small children wobbling across while the cars are whipping around them... It's dangerous enough for adult riders who have good control, but because it is a path commonly traveled by groups out on family bike rides I think it's just that much more important to ensure a safer path for everyone.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I also saw over 2.3 million vetoed for the NWF Water Management District ERP program. I am curious as to how this will affect the program in the coming year as that's a large chunk of money.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I ride my bike/drive across it all the time.

Agree it can be scary with young kids/poor riders so close to traffic, but building a bubble is not the solution.

Many of the same conditions exist all along 30-A. Should be build little bridges everywhere bikers get close to the road?

Or should people use some common sense and learn to ride a bike?

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Many of the same conditions exist all along 30-A. Should be build little bridges everywhere bikers get close to the road? Or should people use some common sense and learn to ride a bike?

I don't believe it's an issue of learning how to ride a bike. Our area is a tourist community (not that the locals don't bike, too--we do!) and that particular stretch is heavily used, particularly by families staying in Watercolor, Seaside and Grayton.

Living in Seagrove, it often makes me nervous when I'm out walking my dogs where the road and the bike path meet in many places. But no, I'm not suggesting that we build little bridges everywhere. But you do have to look at the usage for the area in question and understand who is using it and how often.

The kids on vacation don't need to "learn to ride a bike"... they're children! They are going to wobble and sometimes fall down. I think it is wise to minimize the chances that they will, as a previous poster mentioned, get their little heads run over! Just my .02.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Anyone riding a bicycle needs to know how to ride a bike and adjust their activities in line with their skill level.

Yes, little kids are little kids and as such they ride like little kids.

A $$ bridge keeps them safer in this small stretch of road (After a year passes of construction and them actually riding IN the roadway). Helmets (that are actually on AND fastened), bike safety instruction, reflectors/lights etc. would keep them safer on all stretches of the road.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
We ride that stretch of the bike path every summer as a group of 10... 4 adults , six children.... more for our family of five. The ones who don't ride as well, we trailer. That being said, it is a white knuckler as you pedal over the bridge. We all use helmets, we go single file, and we time our journey across the bridge, so as to avoid oncoming bikers and cars the best we can. It still scares the crap out of me. It's tight, and even a good bike rider can make a mistake. Most of all, a driver can make a brief mistake, and tragedy would strike. I live in Atlanta, so lets face it, white knuckles are a part of getting through the city. Even with all precautions, I'm still scared crossing that bridge. I'm not one for spending ridiculous amounts of money, but I would like to see that very tight part of the bike path widened in some way. It is heavily traveled by runners, walkers, bikers, family pets, etc..