• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let's do this list a bit diferently. These are places that are easy on my wallet and have a specialty I like. They are also places I can go into wearing my usual attire of a baseball cap, tee shirt and shorts and feel perfectly at home and not necessarily part of the elite crowd. Anyway, here they are.

1. Shoomama's-great oysters and fish tacos
2. 98 Bar-B-Que-the name says it all. Best "feast for four" anywhere.
3. El Mercandito-great Cuban sandwich and tamales.
4. The Caf-best fried chicken around.
5. Bayou Bill's-try the paradise shrimp, my favorite.
6. Marie's-any dish is a treat!
7. Sally's Backside-the meatloaf is superb and morning breakfast biscuits a legend.
8. Nicks-fried seafood is always great.
9. House of Klaus-you can't beat his pastrami sandwich and it isn't on the menu.
10.Louis Louis-the pork tenderloin is to die for!

There are more that a local likes that are old standby's, I'm sure such as Angelina's which is wonderful for their antipasto salad and stromboli but these all are my favorites. Reasonable, good food and casual. I have found one thing for sure. It is almost unheard of to get a bad meal in SoWal.

Last edited:

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
Let's do this list a bit diferently. These are places that are easy on my wallet and have a specialty I like. They are also places I can go into wearing my usual attire of a baseball cap, tee shirt and shorts and feel perfectly at home and not necessarily part of the elite crowd. Anyway, here they are.

1. Shoomama's-great oysters and fish tacos
2. 98 Bar-B-Que-the name says it all. Best "feast for four" anywhere.
3. El Mercandito-great Cuban sandwich and tamales.
4. The Caf-best fried chicken around.
5. Bayou Bill's-try the paradise shrimp, my favorite.
6. Marie's-any dish is a treat!
7. Sally's Backside-the meatloaf is superb and morning breakfast biscuits a legend.
8. Nicks-fried seafood is always great.
9. House of Klaus-you can't beat his pastrami sandwich and it isn't on the menu.
10.Louis Louis-the pork tenderloin is to die for!

There are more that a local likes that are old standby's, I'm sure such as Angelina's which is wonderful for their antipasto salad and stromboli but these all are my favorites. Reasonable, good food and casual. I have found one thing for sure. It is almost unheard of to get a bad meal in SoWal.

I like your usual attire recommendatins. I like bayou Bills so I will try the paradise shrimp. Shoo Mamas is on the list to try as is Nick's and Louis Louis. As usual too many places not enough meals.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
All on my list were "usual attire". I'm going out for good food and service, not a snobby fashion show. Not saying you should walk right off the beach in a wet suit or be dressed like a total slob, but none of them have a problem with my typical jeans/flipflop attire.

seacrestgirl

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
Griffin, GA and Seacrest
YUM! These are in no particular order....depends on my mood and my appetite!

*Onano
*Fish Out of Water
*Stinky's
*Seagrill
*PizzaBar
*Spicy Noodle
*Seagrove Market Cafe
*Barefoot BBQ
....now off to dinner as I am suddenly STARVING!!:D

vinniej3

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We went to Marie's tonight for the first time, and let me say I'm a huge fan! Incredible food and we were treated as if we were family. I will be going back often...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Where is Marie's? I haven't heard of it.