• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

9t

Beach Lover
Dec 7, 2009
Just north of the 30A and 98 intersection (across from the Chevron) , there is some clearing/grading of the land.

Any explanations?

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Thanks for asking this. I was wondering the same as I rode by yesterday. Would love to know, too.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
At one time, Albertson's grocery store had plans of going into that spot, before Publix came to SoWal. I'm not sure what the latest is with it, but they may be preparing it for development with the idea of leasing or selling, since Walmart is about to pop nearby. I could eventually see a Target type box going there for competition. (I have not heard of any rumor about Target, just know that they like to compete with Walmart.)

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
All of the "Targets and "Walmarts" will stay on 98 right?? not try to venture down onto 30-A?? I know one can never assume, and we must all stay aware of planning, zone changes, etc., but Scenic Hwy 30-A's long term vision is to be one of small, eclectic seaside towns... full of character and personality like no other place right?? No billboards, no Mickey D's, nothing higher than 4 stories.... 30-A never widening?? I sort of envision this development "bubble" around 30-A. I'm assuming this is 98 and 30-A on the Destin side?? Just wondering.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It has had a development order on it for awhile and the property was recently bought and will be parceled out for commercial. No tenants set yet but something along the lines of a CVS Pharmacy and smaller businesses also.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
All of the "Targets and "Walmarts" will stay on 98 right?? not try to venture down onto 30-A?? I know one can never assume, and we must all stay aware of planning, zone changes, etc., but Scenic Hwy 30-A's long term vision is to be one of small, eclectic seaside towns... full of character and personality like no other place right?? No billboards, no Mickey D's, nothing higher than 4 stories.... 30-A never widening?? I sort of envision this development "bubble" around 30-A. I'm assuming this is 98 and 30-A on the Destin side?? Just wondering.

It will be hard to say now that the Growth Management Law has been almost completely abolished. Already heard of organizations wanting to buy up forest land for offices...so, we have to watch carefully to be sure...IMO a sad day for the environment in Florida when the Governor and Legislature abolished so much of the law that protected our land.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
It has had a development order on it for awhile and the property was recently bought and will be parceled out for commercial. No tenants set yet but something along the lines of a CVS Pharmacy and smaller businesses also.

I'm surprised the developer thinks there will be demand.. we have a lot of empty commercial space around here right now. I hope they did their due dilligence on it before starting the project.

On the flip side - more jobs for all the construction workers around here who were hit by the downturn is welcome news.

9t

Beach Lover
Dec 7, 2009
I'm surprised the developer thinks there will be demand.. we have a lot of empty commercial space around here right now. I hope they did their due dilligence on it before starting the project.

On the flip side - more jobs for all the construction workers around here who were hit by the downturn is welcome news.

It's a retail location- I'd would guess a Chick-fil-A would do really well there... I noticed that they are building a CFA near the new Walmart in Niceville.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
JOE likes to build in those little stub roads, could be something and could be nothing. It has the usual "faux road" look of curving back and then dead ending into nothing. Could it be a short cut to Wal-Mart so you can completely avoid 98?