• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
You're right Toots. I need to do this. I've just been out of the cooking mood for a while now. Maybe I will be inspired if I drag out the cookbooks.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
You're right Toots. I need to do this. I've just been out of the cooking mood for a while now. Maybe I will be inspired if I drag out the cookbooks.

It's jsut too pucking hot to want to cook!!!!

Bell V.

Beach Comber
May 25, 2011
In dire circumstances (don't want to cook...looking at pantry and freezer items). #1 -- Microwave a bag of brown rice (Uncle Ben's pantry pouch or Birdseye bag of frozen brown rice). Oil in skillet, brown the rice with a handful of frozen peas and scramble in an egg. Add soy sauce. You can also add in onions or other veggies if you've got them on hand and already chopped up.

#2 -- Open up small can of salsa verde (found with the Hispanic foods), heat in skillet, throw in veggies or even leftover beans if you have any, pinch of sugar to cut the acidity. Put in a handful of tortilla chips, sprinkle on a handful of grated extra sharp cheddar (or whatever). Fry an egg over easy and put it on top.

#3 -- (Mainly if I'm sick!) Can of mustard greens with liquid -- turnips or collards will do. Add half a can of vegetable broth or chicken broth. Heat in a saucepan. Add lemon juice and a bit of Vietnamese chili garlic sauce or hot sauce. In a small bowl, beat an egg and then drizzle it into the pan while stirring with a fork (the same way you would if making egg drop soup).

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Bell V--I take it you like eggs.:lol:

Good suggestions though. Very creative!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'm a big fan of making enough for multiple meals - either by making it and freezing it or by eating the same food 2-3x in a week, but served up differently.

So nice to just come home and brainlessly put something in the oven/microwave.

Bell V.

Beach Comber
May 25, 2011
We're mostly vegetarian, but those suggestions include eggs because we almost always have a couple of eggs even if the rest of the fridge is empty. And, yeah, we do love eggs!! If all else fails, you can make cheese grits and eggs, or a clean-the-fridge frittata, or...or...

I do the make ahead thing a lot, but sometimes thinking ahead means making sure your pantry/fridge has something in it that can make your belly NOT HUNGRY in five minutes or less. I really recommend stocking up on the frozen brown rice...good stuff, good for you, cheap, versatile. I use it even if I'm not in a hurry, like mixing it with cheese and vegetables to stuff roasted poblanos, or as the base of a broccoli casserole.