• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
good points, Geo. my concern is, if this Marketing Firm was "locked in" to this tag line...and really didn't see the problems with it before the pushback from the community...then, what else will they lock into? As you say, we had the same situation with the Big Blue signs... although the same firm was not involved as far as I know. At some point, there has to be better involvement with all the stakeholders. Let's hope the flow of communication continues to improve.

It seems to me that a bit more thorough work on the front end of this research and planning, would make the jobs of the folks at the TDC a whole lot easier. I can't believe anyone there wants to come to a conclusion/recommendation in this manner. I wonder what a focus group with local folks early on would have shown?

Last edited:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
This is the logo they distributed in their press release today.

View attachment 24511
2cents.gif
I think the new logo is pretentious and abandons the fun loving aspect depicted by the umbrellas.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
2cents.gif
I think the new logo is pretentious and abandons the fun loving aspect depicted by the umbrellas.

I think pretentious is the right word. At last count, there are about 50 million fonts out there (give or take 500,000) and they decided to go with the silliest one...embarrassing.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I guess my issue with the entire process is the lack of input prior to and during. People who didn't scour the TDC website or read every public notice in the Defuniak Herald are being told to shut up and sit down, they didn't attend meetings so now have no input. If we follow that logic then I'm to understand that regardless of the rebranding no input will be considered once it's rolled out? We'll just assume that it's working?

Why do we constantly compare ourselves to Destin and PCB? We are neither and personally I don't want to be either. To complain that two larger more established areas have better recognition than our area is shortsighted and stupid. Both pull from the original brand that anyone living can remember for the panhandle and that was the Miracle Strip. That area originally ran from Panama City Beach to Pensacola Beach. Some areas, wisely, latched onto that and the evidence was left with road names and even an amusement park. Over time power and money consolidated and those areas developed their own brands. Many of those brands have been cultivated for decades and aside from the occasional update due to taste and style changes they are relatively unchanged.

Pensacola Beach still uses it's 50's style sign to market their area and they consistently beat our numbers.
Panama City Beach was designated "The World's Most Beautiful Beaches" sometime in the 90's and that moniker isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Destin has used "The world's luckiest fishing village" for almost a hundred years now? Why would they change it.

The point is that in the world of tourism we are just babies and assuming that a brand that has only been in existence for less than 20 years and official for maybe 10 is ineffective is shortsighted at best.

"The Beaches of South Walton" to me denotes an area with multiple beaches, attractions, and things to do. To assume that our tourists are really dumb enough to be told that is the lazy approach. I wonder how much education and information could be provided to existing and returning visitors so they understand how much we have to offer. There is no better form of advertising than word of mouth.

Just my 2 cents, I realize I didn't attend a meeting so I'll shut up now.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
Judging from the crowds last week, numbers were really down.

I, for one, am glad the TDC recognized we have a problem and I'm sure the new logo will be balm for the wound.

:sarc:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
There is no doubt in my mind that word of mouth far outstrips ANY message put out by the tourism industry. If you take a vacation or trip to a place and it isn't what you expected or you were treated poorly, you tell your friends. It is always effective and it is certainly less expensive than what we are doing with "branding". And I miss the umbrellas, too. They were really neat!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Great editorial in the Defuniak Herald this week about the branding!

Gist was that more and more people are coming to our beaches every year and all the branding crap has nothing to do with it.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Great editorial in the Defuniak Herald this week about the branding!

Gist was that more and more people are coming to our beaches every year and all the branding crap has nothing to do with it.

BINGO! IMHO they jsut need to focus on how great the area is in the "off" season! BOO...did i jsut say that???

Andy A...spot on!

BTW...I still really dislike that font. Sucky suck suck.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
BINGO! IMHO they jsut need to focus on how great the area is in the "off" season! BOO...did i jsut say that???

Andy A...spot on!

BTW...I still really dislike that font. Sucky suck suck.

As sucky as it gets. Pass the Grey Poupon...

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I keep suggesting things we could spend TDC money on besides these branding boondoggles (most not allowed), but I know this one is kosher: How about they spend a fraction of the TDC millions to properly maintain the bathrooms at the Visitor Center?

Nothing says "welcome to our clean sparkling beaches" like a gloomy bathroom with toilet paper rolls sitting on the floor, the toilet tank, or balanced on the handicapped grab rail. Though that is an improvement over my last visit - when they didn't even have toilet paper holders.