• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ADayAtTheBeach

Beach Crab
Jun 6, 2011
Blue Mountain
I was arrested in 2007 at that beach. A while back I put together a Web site that tells my story. If you're interested, you can read about it here: My Day At the Beach.

The campaign of intimidation continues and it really makes that stretch of beach a very uncomfortable place to be. You can be drifting off or relaxing and all of a sudden a guard appears and tells you you have to leave. It really is a shame that all the beauty and peacefulness of the beach continues to be disrupted by this ongoing campaign.

More than anything, I feel sad for those living in the condo and in the Retreat who keep pursuing this because they obviously aren't at peace with themselves so they reflect it back to the rest of us. We can't reflect it back but we can resist their efforts. The campaign, if it is successful, will amount to theft because the land seaward of the mean high water line (MHWL) is public land and preventing the public from using it is a kind of theft.

Those who believe that the area seaward of the MHWL is always under water are wrong. It is only under water some of the time and some of the time it is high and dry. Also, the MHWL is not necessarily where the high tide occurred the day before. It can be seaward of that, exactly that, or landward of that. This is because the line is the average of high tides taken over a long period of time (19 years).

Anyway, it sure is a shame that the public cannot enjoy public lands without constantly being harassed. I was hoping that this would stop and we could all partake of this beautiful natural resource in peace and harmony with it.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
the law is not enforeable period unless you get a survey every single day. and that pertains to sitting above the high meanw ater mark. this is getting very old and the sheriffs dept should send a communication out that unless you get a survey daily don't call us becasue its not legal

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I understand that the security guard is someone's employee, but he has now been told that he is calling regarding an unenforceable ordinance. If he keeps calling it becomes misuse of 911 and reporting a false crime.

Can I just hire a security guard for Helen McCall park and have people run off at my leisure?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I was arrested in 2007 at that beach. A while back I put together a Web site that tells my story. If you're interested, you can read about it here: My Day At the Beach.

The campaign of intimidation continues and it really makes that stretch of beach a very uncomfortable place to be. You can be drifting off or relaxing and all of a sudden a guard appears and tells you you have to leave. It really is a shame that all the beauty and peacefulness of the beach continues to be disrupted by this ongoing campaign.

More than anything, I feel sad for those living in the condo and in the Retreat who keep pursuing this because they obviously aren't at peace with themselves so they reflect it back to the rest of us. We can't reflect it back but we can resist their efforts. The campaign, if it is successful, will amount to theft because the land seaward of the mean high water line (MHWL) is public land and preventing the public from using it is a kind of theft.

Those who believe that the area seaward of the MHWL is always under water are wrong. It is only under water some of the time and some of the time it is high and dry. Also, the MHWL is not necessarily where the high tide occurred the day before. It can be seaward of that, exactly that, or landward of that. This is because the line is the average of high tides taken over a long period of time (19 years).

Anyway, it sure is a shame that the public cannot enjoy public lands without constantly being harassed. I was hoping that this would stop and we could all partake of this beautiful natural resource in peace and harmony with it.

I'd like to think the beach can't be owned and is public but laws sometimes make a mess of things and that's why we have courts to sort things out. From your site:
My hope is that this kind of ongoing treatment will not affect the area’s tourist industry. But it remains to be seen.

What is your goal?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Well, summer must have arrived along with hurricane season. I know because the public vs. private beach controvery is back as well.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I understand that the security guard is someone's employee, but he has now been told that he is calling regarding an unenforceable ordinance. If he keeps calling it becomes misuse of 911 and reporting a false crime.

Can I just hire a security guard for Helen McCall park and have people run off at my leisure?

If he called 911 at all for that non-emergency issue he should be cited.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
SWGB, I've been familar with the equinox's and solstice's since long before you were born. I was once again "generalizing", as Geo likes to say.:D

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
Surprised Andante is doing that. I suppose Miley wants her privacy.