• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jerry Lewis

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
Hello everyone! I am doing a little story about Seaside and was hoping you could help with ideas or maybe a story of your own to build on. Were you in the Truman Show? Walk the beach before Seasde was built? First couple to marry there?

I'll publish the finished product on SoWal. Thanks very much! :wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
well, I remember having dinner at Bud & Alley's and buying my first Seaside t-shirt at Perspicacity while honeymooning here in May 22 years ago! That is about all I can recall - there was not much going on in Seaside or anywhere - just a very relaxing and beautiful place to be. Stayed in Dune Allen Beach for a week, ate bucket of crabs at Bayou Bills and became beach bums living on strawberry-banana daiquiris. Moved to the area permanently about 7 years later.

Rebecca

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2008
I first stayed in the Krier House on Tupelo street in 1996 when it was still on the rental program. After moving here in 2008, I bought the very bed I first slept in at the Krier House(a beautiful iron bed) at a yard sale.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
We bought here in Blue Mountain Beach in 1991. Seaside was just beginning to really develop and I made one of the most blantant errors regarding real estate I ever made in my life. I told Betty that what she and I were seeing built were "defferred tenements in 20 years." How wrong can one be! I am glad we did not consider buying there, however. Where we are is bad enough in the summer but Seaside would drive me crazy with all the traffic and people. Anywhere you live in South Walton is a piece of paradise.

Yarmap

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Northeast Alabama
Some of us that like progress........ but want it to come real slow......... still yearn for the " Good old Days". I think this was in '86. Good luck with your progect.

Attachments

• scan002.jpg
    scan002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 62

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
i just unearthed a poster (bought at sue vaneer's), copyright 1994, that is of "old" seaside - an aerial view in the center, and then smaller thumbnail-ish (larger) depictions of seaside landmarks such as bud and alley's, perspicacity, modica, sundog books (original location), etc etc. shades! the aerial looks like it is a watercolor taken from a photograph, and is very detailed. it shows the water tower, and the honeymoon cottages when they were pretty much on a quiet, barren stretch of walking path along the top of the dunes, parallel to 30A. you might find it interesting - we are bringing it with us on our trip down, arriving late on sunday night 5/22. pm me if you are interested - i think you could take some pictures of it with a good camera. it is much too big to scan.

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Destin in 1995 at the original Henderson Park Inn. I had done some research of the area and wanted to see this little town called Seaside. We drove to Seaside after lunch one day and was fascinated by wonderful homes and buildings. My fondest memory is going to Modica's, meeting Mr. Charlie and Mrs. Sarah, grabbing a sandwich and a lemonade, and enjoying the afternoon. We've been coming back to visit Seaside almost every year since, and although there are more things to do, houses to view, and shops to visit, we still find time to stop in at Modica's - it's a tradition!

Last edited:

MonicaQA

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
I have no stories to tell from long ago. My story with Seaside started 5 years ago. We had a lot of friends who vacationed in Destin, & we were thinking about going there as well. I was talking about it with one of my good friends who had just returned from Rosemary Beach & she said, "I think you would love the 30A area a lot better." Well, I started researching & booked a place. We arrived in Seaside, & it was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!! I loved the pines, the dune lakes, & the covered bridges on one side, and then the powdery white sand dunes & crystal clear water of the beach on the other. The scenery was amazing! The local people & businesses were so friendly, it just added to the charm of the area. We are planning on retiring in the area in 9-10 yrs, as we love it so much. We cherish our vacation time here, & cannot wait until the day we can call it home!

~Monica