• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I'm a Cat 3 road racer here on vacation for the week and have decided that riding 30A is the only way to not kill children on the bike path. Since 30A isn't a great option either I have decided riding 98, albeit boring, is better for everyone's heath. It has a bike lane / curb from San Destin to Panama City. I've ridden the 40 mi round trip both ways from 30A and 98 and had no problems (averaging 20mi/hr both ways). It is even sick but I sort of liked when there where a bunch of cars because the side draft would push me up to 27+ mi/hr.

Awesome! But watch out for the above mentioned haters :bang:

What are you ridding?

Seabreeze

Beach Comber
Apr 18, 2007
ATL & SRB
Bike + Hwy 98 = Death wish + insanity

You can quote me on that.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Bike + Hwy 98 = Death wish + insanity

You can quote me on that.

It can be very dangerous. Timing does help. When we are on our 'road bikes' we never ride on the 'bike path' - I feel that is best left to walkers and joggers and those cruising on their slower bikes (what I like to call my "beach bike") We take our road bikes up 30A to 83 and on to 98. BUT we do it very early on Sunday mornings and we have mirrors and bells and helmets and lights and never ride side by side.

I jog, walk and take my 'beach' bike on the 'bike' path so I can identify with all three and all three have their frustrations and dangers. If you are walking or jogging, say next to your partner and someone RACES up behind you on their bike without warning OR with not enough warning (like saying it right when they are approaching) then it can not only scare the crap out of you, but it can be very very dangerous. One step to the left would leave everyone in a tangled mess.

The safest way to approach this is for those out for a fast ride to use 30A as early in the day as possible. If that's not possible then at the very least get a good loud bell and use in plenty of time to give warning. If I am riding my 'beach bike' on the path - I use my bell and if I don't see some sort of recognition that the walker/jogger heard me, then I use it again until I know that they know I am there. Those who are riding their fast bikes need to understand that you can't just go racing past someone - that's just nuts - you must assume the pedestrian doesn't know you are there until you have some sort of recognition from the walker/jogger - a look behind, moving over, etc... Same goes for "on your left" - gotta be said in plenty of time and loud enough so that people can move over, and variables like the breeze and traffic noises make the bell, IMHO the better choice. I always thank those on their bikes who give me plenty of warning, because so often, many don't.

Last edited:

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
LOL!! There was a silver Jeep Grand Cherokee :funn: . He was pointing to the bike path as he passed me and blew his horn. I waved back but he kept on going :dunno:

Wasn't me! I promise! :wave: I generally have no issues with the road bikers, so long as they are being courteous and not riding two or three astride (which, yes, I've seen many times...)

I have much, MUCH bigger issues with the morons who decide to start walking across 30A (nowhere NEAR a crosswalk) with their children, coolers, and assorted beach gear, cutting me off and forcing me to come to a complete stop and wait for them despite the fact that I am the only car on the road, and it would only take a second or two for me to pass by and then we could all be on our merry way... /rant off/

Anywho! Carry on bikers! We've had some beautiful weather lately, and I'm jealous that y'all are out there enjoying it! :love:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I ride on the path except when it is full of people (in places like Seaside or Watercolor or Rosemary). Far safer and a better surface in most cases.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
RO, PM i'll ride with ya. Much safer in pairs. I do 1-3 hr rides and about 100 miles a week. Mtn. Bike also.
A few roads N of 98 have far less traffic than 30A for anyone new to the area. Certainly not as pretty of a ride but far safer.
Florida ranks 1st, I believe, in car/cyclists fatalities. Atlanta #1 in most dangerous city riding. I think both combine here on 30A during 8a-7p hours.