• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/south-41095-walton-county.html
Walton County sheriff’s deputies were investigating a murder late Thursday in connection to a teenage girl who was reported missing earlier that afternoon, according to the Sheriff’s Office and Walton County Fire Rescue. A 15-year-old girl was reported missing about 4 p.m. Thursday from a condominium on County Road 30A in Seagrove Beach, according to 911 dispatch records. She was last seen about three hours earlier with a 21-year-old man who was a friend of her brother, according to dispatch records.
The murder investigation was under way near Cypress Grove Lane near Seaside, said Sheriff’s Office spokesman Mike Morrison.
Deputies were interviewing “persons of interest” Thursday night, Morrison said.
“We will continue to conduct a thorough and methodical criminal investigation to determine what happened and how,” he said.
No additional details were available at 9 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
They updated the article but still not really any details.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
From what I understand this is local on local violence. Also I'm not sure where the transient comment comes from, I've been listening to the scanner for quite some time and never heard that.

JChan

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2007
SeaGrove
They have a suspect in custody not sure if he has been charge or not. He is a local to the area lives around the area the minor's body was found, what I have heard the minor was not a local

btanner

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2006
Knoxville, Tn
From what I understand the minor was not a local. Knew this family when I was a kid. They were on vaction in Seagrove. Creeps me out a little, we are coming down on Saturday.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Latest news story: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/south-41095-walton-county.html

SEAGROVE BEACH — An arrest has been made in connection with the murder of a 15-year-old Georgia resident who was vacationing in Seagrove Beach in Walton County.
Steven Anthony Cozzie, 21, of Santa Rosa Beach, was charged with an open count of murder. He was booked at 10:06 a.m., Friday.
The Walton County Sheriff’s Office began investigating the girl’s disappearance about 4 p.m. Thursday after her mother called to say she had not returned from a walk with an acquaintance she had met during the vacation, a Sheriff’s Office news release said.
The girl had been missing for approximately three hours when the Sheriff’s Office was contacted, the release said.
The teen's body was found in a wooded area near Cypress Grove Lane, according to the Sheriff’s Office and other sources.
Deputies “obtained a description of the juvenile’s acquaintance” Sheriff’s Office spokesman Mike Morrison said in the release. The Sheriff’s Office confirmed the “acquaintance” she was last seen with was 21, but did not say whether Cozzie was the acquaintance.
The Sheriff's Office reported Thursday night it was interviewing "persons of interest."
Sheriff Mike Adkinson said after Cozzie was taken into custody the pace of the Sheriff’s Office investigation had been slowed to a pace that would allow a deliberate, careful collection of evidence.
“I’m confident we’re going to see this through to a successful conclusion,” Adkinson said.
The victim and her family were staying at 1 SeaGrove Place condominiums on County Road 30A in Seagrove Beach, sources said. Another family staying at the condominium said the murder "has really shaken us up."
"It makes you want to watch your kids a little closer. I don't think my 15-year-old grandaughter will be going out alone any time soon," said Jorene Goris.
Goris's daughter, Julie Armstrong, said "when you're 15 you should be able to do things on your own, but she (her daughter) is definitely not going anywhere by herself. You never know."
“The Sheriff’s Office will host a press conference today at 3 p.m. to discuss the facts of the case and to mitigate misinformation released to the public from sources outside the Sheriff’s Office,” Morrison said in the news release. “No media interviews will be granted prior to the press conference.”
Cozzie has a Facebook page on which he states he attended South Walton High School and lives in Santa Rosa Beach. He labels himself single and interested in women.