• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Smiling in his mug shot. What a douche.

Cozzie-150x150.jpg

http://waltoncountymugshots.com/

For Immediate Release
June 16, 2011

The Walton County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) is presently conducting a homicide investigation near Cypress Grove Lane in Seagrove, Fla.

A missing person was reported to the WCSO earlier today. The case has evolved into a homicide investigation. The WCSO is in the process of interviewing persons of interest and area residents who may have information regarding this case.

Further information will be released as it becomes available during the course of this active and ongoing criminal investigation.

For Further Information Contact:
Mike Morrison
Public Information Officer
Walton County Sheriff’s Office
(850) 892-8186 (main)
(850) 401-4612 (cell)
2011-031-Homicide June 16 2011 Press Release

Last edited by a moderator:

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
Someone posted this as a comment to NWFDN article:

Update:
The family was staying at BeachCrest Condos on 30-A the girls brother was befriended by (possibly recently laid off) employee of the beach chair and umbrella company that services that complex, the perp asked the girl to go for a walk on the beach when she failed to return a search was conducted for the girl, the perp was spotted and questioned by the sheriff's dept. and then at a later time once her body was discovered the search began for the perp, he is a local but living as homeless at the time his family had recently rejected him because of his odd behavior. She was brutally raped and strangled. How sad for the family of this precious little girl.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Someone posted this as a comment to NWFDN article:

Update:
The family was staying at BeachCrest Condos on 30-A the girls brother was befriended by (possibly recently laid off) employee of the beach chair and umbrella company that services that complex, the perp asked the girl to go for a walk on the beach when she failed to return a search was conducted for the girl, the perp was spotted and questioned by the sheriff's dept. and then at a later time once her body was discovered the search began for the perp, he is a local but living as homeless at the time his family had recently rejected him because of his odd behavior. She was brutally raped and strangled. How sad for the family of this precious little girl.

Talk about wrong gossip. The press release from WCSO says One Seagrove place.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
Heartbreaking and tragic. I hope her family knows that the locals would do anything possible to help them get through this.

MonicaQA

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
This is so horrible!!! Makes you just want to hold your kids close! I cannot believe this guy is smiling in his mug shot!!! Does anyone know if he was "off" mentally? (I mean, you have to be to murder someone, but has he always been "off" in his behavior?)

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and to the soul of the young woman.

Many years ago my daughter was abducted in a Stadium in Atlanta and attacked. God willing, she made it through it alive. Trust me, this was devastating enough for any parent see to happen to their child.

I could not even imagine what it must be like for the parents of the young woman.

IMO, these sort of situations illustrate why all young women should be "well trained" in self defense. And I mean very well trained.

At the least, such training can make a young women more aware and vigilant, no matter where they are.

And in the worst case scenario they can defend themselves to the point where their attacker will never attempt to attack another woman again.

No matter where one is, there is always a risk of being attached and/or violated. Especially in places where one would least expect it (like in SeaGrove).

I personally wish there was something that could be done to alleviate the amount of grief that the family is suffering.

Last edited:

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
Was any new info released at the press conference?

Bell V.

Beach Comber
May 25, 2011
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/south-41095-walton-county.html

The Walton County Sheriff's Office has identified the 15-year-old girl who was killed yesterday in Seagrove Beach as Courtney Wilkes.

She was from Lyons, Ga. and was staying at Beachcrest Condominium complex on County Road 30A with her family.

"We have the person we believe is responsible for this crime," said Walton County Sheriff Mike Adkinson during a 3 p.m. press conference. "The threat to the community has been removed."

He described the slaying of Wilkes as an "extremely violent encounter."

Adkinson said when Steven Anthony Cozzie, 21, of Santa Rosa Beach, was arrested and charged with an open count of murder he showed no remorse.

"This is nothing more than pure evil," Adkinson said.

Check back soon for more updates.

...My heart goes out to this family. What a tragedy.