• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I was hearing another guy was involved. Their earlier article seemed to say that too.

The fact that the newspaper has links in the article to the killer's Facebook and MySpace pages is appalling!

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
I just so hate to hear of the beautiful serenity, peacefulness and security of SoWal being compromised by such a brutal act. I was at Cassine Gardens just last week and enjoyed a wonderful week there...perfect weather, paradise as always. I did learn that the police had been contacted by owners because of signs that someone was sleeping in the wooded area behind the pool. I now hear that it's possible that may have been the guy who murdered the young woman. I hope that's not so.......

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
This is a horrific tragedy and my heart goes out to this young woman's family; we will be arriving for a week's stay in Cassine Gardens tomorrow and have stayed there a few other times in the last few years. We actually have met Theresa a couple of times and she's always been very nice to us; I saw where some were questioning why she didn't call the police about a homeless person being in the pool area rather than just kicking them out. I have to say that I would have done the same thing and if I saw them back, then I'd probably call the police. Again, this is a horrible tragedy.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Very very sad.

TOOMBS CO., GA (WTOC) -
The memorial at Toombs County High school continues to
grow with messages remembering 15-year-old Courtney Wilkes.

Wilkes was murdered in Walton County, Fla., near Panama
City, Fla., where her family was vacationing.

"Courtney was one of those people you could tell
anything to and she would never go back and tell anyone else. She was pure and
just an angel," friend and soccer teammate Madison Lynn said.

Wilkes was a star soccer player on the school team and
also at the top of her class.

"This past year we became really good friends. I
trusted her. She was sweet and didn't deserve this," classmate Cody Down
said.

The Walton County Sheriff says Wilkes' mother reported
her missing at 4 p.m. Thursday.

She was last seen going for a walk with 21-year-old
Steven Cozzie, a resident of the area near Seagrove Beacn.

By 5:30 p.m., the sheriff says her body was found.

And by 6 p.m., deputies arrested Cozzie for the
murder.

The sheriff says Cozzie is showing no remorse and he is
seen smiling in his mugshot.

Officials say he violently killed the 15-year-old
within just 500 yards of where she and her family were staying.

He was denied bond.

Copyright 2011 WTOC. All rights reserved.
video
http://www.wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=14932911

Last edited:

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
I can't even begin to imagine how devastating this has to be for the young girl's family (or even the suspect's family.) So many lives destroyed and so much pain. I hope they are able to get through this tragedy and build some kind of a decent life again. I harbor an entirely different (and much darker) set of hopes for the future of the suspect if he is convicted.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I have to say I was heartbroken to read this yesterday. At that point, the suspect hadn't been named and the only information was that he was a 21 yo white male. My son is 21. I wasn't concerned that it was him by any stretch of the imagination but i knew it was probably someone he knew and it spooked the hell out of me. Could it be a friend? a coworker? what kind of monster did this? Is my son friends with him? I had lots of questions. My girls and I just went to PC on Monday to see my 13 yo niece who was vacationing with a friend. We spent all day around the pool and she had her eye on a cute boy there. I thought it was fun and recalled memories of my sister (her mother) and I in our teens on vacation in Daytona. We always met boys, some local...some tourists. It just all seems so innocent and fun and we made lots of friends. I've cried for this girl that took a walk with a boy and now she's gone. I'm worried more than ever about my young nieces who are going to Daytona in a couple of weeks. I know they'll meet people, probably meet lots of boys...but i'm scared for their safety. The young man who did this....how must his mother feel? When i finally talked to my own son yesterday and told him who it was, he did know him but was not friends with him. A sigh of relief...that it wasn't someone with whom he associated. My prayers go out to both families. Such a sad sad few days here.