• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Did Fernleigh move again or did they close?

I went to the store and it is empty. (The old gas station near Publix.)

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
We were in there over the winter, and the owner said they were going to end up closing somewhat soon because they got creamed by the oil spill last summer, and BP refused to come close to compensating them for lost business.

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
I remember going there when they were by Modica Market in Seaside. The owner (I think she was the owner) was charming and they had such beautiful things. Every year since they moved I have driven by the shop on 98 in what looked like an old gas station and wanted to stop. Was the relation to them closing and the oil spill just because it killed retail down there for awhile? Why would BP compensate them? Was their a relation to them or just because the oil spill hurt the local ecomony?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
There's no doubt that the oil spill had tragic effects on a lot of businesses along the coast. But, it is also very true that most retail businesses do so much better if they are in an environment that promotes foot traffic, such as Seaside. Like you said, you drove by it many times, and just never had the inclination to slow down, hit the brakes, and make a turn into their parking lot.