• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
TVs in the Tarpon Club are off.

Where were there TVs in restaurants in Seaside? I know that Great Southern had one in the bar, and the ones in the Tarpon Club....neither were in the restaurant. Did they have them inside at the Pizza Bar, it seems like?

That's the only place I can think of where there was one IN a restaurant.

CampCreekLou

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2005
Is this true? Because if it is, I will start going to those restaurants more.

TV in restaurants is out of control. I do occasionally enjoy watching a game in a bar, but an important live sporting event is rarely what is on.

Even when the sound is off, the picture is distracting if you are facing the TV, and if you sit with your back to it, you feel like other patrons are staring at you, not the TV over your head.

Just as you should be able to make it through a meal without using your cell phone, you should be able to go without the TV - especially in the age of the DVR and on-demand.

Well said! If you want to go see a game, head down to Shades. If you want to get away from the constant video screens in our lives, head to Seaside!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Look for many grumpy men in Seaside this fall who no longer have the chance to sneak off to Pizza Bar or Taco Bar and enjoy their football while their wives browse endlessly in Perspicacity :lol:

Where were there TVs in restaurants in Seaside? I know that Great Southern had one in the bar, and the ones in the Tarpon Club....neither were in the restaurant. Did they have them inside at the Pizza Bar, it seems like?

There were TVs in the Roof Top Bar, TVs on the inside of Taco Bar, TVs all over Pizza Bar.

Let's look at the restaurants and places with food in Seaside, shall we? I'll omit the ones that are trailers because mounting a TV outside would probably not be a good idea. I'll assume that the sound is off on the TVs in all comments below.

Amavida: I can't imagine anyone objecting to watching the news with their morning coffee.
Bud & Alley's: I agree that there should be none in the dining rooms, but behind any bar seems fine to me.
Bud & Alley's Roof Top Bar: Behind the bar seems fine to me. It's a BAR for heaven's sakes.
Bud & Alley's Taco Bar: Inside at the bar seems fine to me for the same reason as above.
Bud & Alley's Pizza Bar: At the north bar seems fine to me for the same reason as above if people in the dining rooms object to TVs.
Crush: Behind the bar seems fine to me for the same reason as above.
Dawson's: Well, no one is there long enough to watch TV.
Heavenly Shortcakes and Ice Cream: Ditto.
Inn by the Sea: No opinion.
Modica: Ditto as for the ice cream shops.
Pickles: It doesn't have walls, for heaven's sakes. Who could object to a TV?
Great Southern: At the bar seems fine to me for the same reason as above if people in the dining rooms object to TVs.
Shrimp Shack: No room for people to be hanging out watching TV.

These are just my opinions. I think that business owners should be able to make the decisions for themselves regarding what is appropriate. If their customers don't like TVs, they should make their voices heard to the management.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My guess is that customers did make their voices heard - which is why TVs went away.

Most of the posters in the thread are happy to hear they are gone and wish other restaurants would follow suit.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Nope, that was just based on this thread.

I know I've been biatching about it and requesting televisions be muted or turned off for years. God forbid people spend some time without constant electronics.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
BR, while I'm no fan of TV's in restaurants, I do agree with you that bars might be another matter and I also agree that business owners should be able to decide for their particular establishments based on their customers dersires. I'm not sure it's up to the town to decide, but wtf do I know?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to stare at Mo and the sucky view! :D