• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kashan

Beach Crab
Jan 18, 2009
Laguna Beach
I was at the new walmart on Sunday this past weekend. The store is quite dark, not many customers there, the produce section is minimal and not much of a selection in the other areas of the store. It seems to be geared toward the tourists and NOT the locals. The cashier was very pleasant. There is no vision center, garden center or automotive center. Not even a McDonald's tucked away in a dark corner like at many of their other stores. In conclusion I was VERY disappointed in the store and more than likely will never go back.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
It was Sunday. I needed a few odds and ends and I needed them now. Wiper blades, wiper fluid, AAA batteries, a CFL bulb, Powerade, cat food, toothpaste, and a few food items. In the past I would have to drive to Destin. I don't live close enough to Target in PCB. It might have taken an hour longer if I made that trip. Then I'd have to walk through this huge supercenter with it's awful overly bright lighting. SoWal mart is really cool. Kind of scaled back a bit, but more compressed like a store should be. Gives it a kind of charm that I never would have expected. Puck Fublix.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I've been in the new WalMart twice, now and found the employees especially pleasant and helpful. The last I read, 200 employees were added to our present economy. I don't call that shipping local jobs overseas but then I am one of those old geezers who liked the country successful, not like it appears to be now.

You mean when someone could work full time for a big company and not have to depend on government assistance to get medical care?

When we manufactured most of our clothing and goods in the US?

When we grew most of our food instead of importing it and farmers could actually make a living off farming?

That kind of good old days successful?

Sam Walton is rolling in his grave with what Wal-mart has become and is doing to the US economy.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
I'm not local,but I did pass the new walmart on my recent trip. Here at home I HATE shopping at any WAlmart.They are huge,dirty,loud and no one that works there knows anything.
On my trip in I took mid bay bridge and stopped at the Walmart in that town north of the bay (forgot the name) . Man, I didn't realize i was even in a Walmart, it was clean, not crowded and the landscaping out side was like a high end mall. Ya'll would die if you had to endure the ugly blue,gray things here.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
That would be the newly-opened Niceville store. The site they built on there had a fair number of environmental sensitivity issues, complete with a mo-fo of stormwater retention requirements to keep an endangered fish in a nearby creek from being impacted. A lot of what they did for that development was because they had to in order to get approvals to build in one of the largest vacant areas left south of I-10 zoned for commercial use, not because they necessarily had planned on spending that much on fish-friendly landscaping and access roads, even though that area is high SES by local standards.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
You mean when someone could work full time for a big company and not have to depend on government assistance to get medical care?

When we manufactured most of our clothing and goods in the US?

When we grew most of our food instead of importing it and farmers could actually make a living off farming?

That kind of good old days successful?

Sam Walton is rolling in his grave with what Wal-mart has become and is doing to the US economy.

Yep, pretty much right on, though I disagree with the last sentence. You always tend to give waaaay to much credit to WalMart for the bad state of the economy.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've been in the new WalMart twice, now and found the employees especially pleasant and helpful. The last I read, 200 employees were added to our present economy. I don't call that shipping local jobs overseas but then I am one of those old geezers who liked the country successful, not like it appears to be now.

I would be interested in knowing who works at our little Walmart - are they residents of Santa Rosa Beach? I have no idea.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yep, pretty much right on, though I disagree with the last sentence. You always tend to give waaaay to much credit to WalMart for the bad state of the economy.

No I don't, you just don't realize how huge they are and what a major impact they have. They are the biggest company in the world!

Wal-mart is the largest private employer in the US with over 2 million employees.

8 cents of every dollar spent in American stores goes to Wal-mart.

Wal-mart makes over $40,000 in profit every minute, yet more than half of their employees/employees' family members rely on government aid programs for food, housing, and medical care.

That's hundreds of millions dollars of taxpayer money, which combined with foreign imports is a big part of what is hurting our country and our economy.

If Wal-mart paid a living wage and provided health care for its employees, it would make a giant dent in the deficits and entitlement spending that is bankrupting us.

Feel free to research these statistics and refute them.

Wal-mart is a cancer.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let me tell you a little story, SB44, that happened to me in the new WalMart. The cashier who check me out, had been very pleasant, taking me after she had closed her aisle for break. When she left, I had three sacks but only took two of them, leaving the shoes I had bought. When I got home and realized what I had done, I returned to the store and queiried the cashier who had checked me out. No shoes. To customer service where, once again, I was treated most curteously. The customer service representative who waited on me said I believe your story because I know you. She had been a teller at the local credit union where I have an account. The point of this story is she changed jobs from one that fostered good job security to work at WalMart so I feel sure she evaluated the situation before making the move.
We have a huge difference of opinion regarding WalMart, SB. I think it is anything but a cancer. It is an institution indicative of American entrepreneurship started by an American citizen who saw a need for something and built it. You can quote statistics until the cows come home and I will be the last to refute them though I feel sure many of anti WalMart ones are created, er, excuse me, fostered by those who hate WalMart. One thing more. You try to blame WalMart for the state of our economy to some degree. Those who work there are at least working and not sitting on their behinds not looking for work. I give every employee a lot of credit. SB, you and I will just have to disagree on this one as I think WalMart is a credit to the American economy, not a drag on it.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am sure many nice people work at Wal-mart. It isn't the individual employees I have a problem with, it's the company and how it does business that is the problem.