• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bee

Beach Comber
Jun 21, 2011
Those of us who own second homes on 30A have a vested interest in the community. We have raised children there very part time, and it could have been them last week. We serve on our neighborhood boards and have to deal with security issues as do the full time residents. We are not "tourists"......we are there whenever we can be because it is our home away from home.

You say we don't have the problems of Hawaii, but it seems like that day is coming. A drug related murder last winter, and now this heartbreaking crime. No one who is obeying the laws needs to worry about "torches and pitchforks". And if the homeless men are doing such a good job cleaning up the beach, let's get them on the county payroll so they can afford to pay rent somewhere.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Cozzie has developed amnesia, eh? Not until after his defense attorney got ahold of him. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) he has a public defender and I know for a fact a local public defender likes to use the "I was on drugs and don't remember anything at all" defense. That was for a dingbat breaking into cars though, so not sure if that sort of thing works in a murder case.

If he has amnesia it occurred long after he led someone to the body, told them what he had done, and was arrested.

Public defender Lenny Platteborze is his lawyer according to the Walton Sun.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
The beaches of La Jolla California and probably most in California are no stranger to the homeless. La Jolla is a very upscale community and I never saw anyone kick a homeless person off that beach. It seems some of you are just put off by a person who happens not to have a residence. Personally, I admire a person that has the fortitude to live without 'stuff' and/or a place to put it. Being homeless doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being a murderer.

The beaches of La Jolla California and probably most in California are no stranger to the homeless. La Jolla is a very upscale community and I never saw anyone kick a homeless person off that beach. It seems some of you are just put off by a person who happens not to have a residence. Personally, I admire a person that has the fortitude to live without 'stuff' and/or a place to put it. Being homeless doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being a murderer.
Wow, I've never noticed that in La Jolla. It seems so Neiman-Marcus-land.

On second thought, on my last visit I decided I wanted to move there, drive an ancient, beat-up BMW convertible, and live like a hippie without the burden of possessions. I really cried when we left.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't have a problem with people who choose to "live lite". We have many Sowallers who do not feel the need to have a car, own closets full of clothes, a giant house, or constantly fret about status.

I do have a problem with vagrants living under my neighborhood's beach walkover, littering, and preventing residents, visitors, and their families from enjoying it.

Not saying they are all murderers and rapists who should be arrested or run out of town on a rail, just that the same rules that apply to us should apply to them and that beach walkovers are probably not the best places for them to be living for a variety of reasons.

Many homeless people have mental problems, health problems, and/or addiction issues - that's often why they are homeless - not because they are harmless happy hippies.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't disagree with any of that SB. It was the happy hippies I was referring to... The ones that don't panhandle, beg, steal, litter, or otherwise make themselves a nuisance to the surrounding members of the community.

localyocal

Beach Comber
Feb 15, 2009
I kind of get the idea that everyone at the Sowal High School knew this guy was not all there. With that said why were the police not keeping an eye on this guy. They seem to have plenty of time to sit on the side of Hwy 98 waiting for some tourist to go 55mph in the 45mph.

Are you proposing the police should have had him under 24 hour surveillance because he was creepy in high school? That's ludicrous and I am glad our police actually pull over speeders as well. If anyone is responsible for negligence, it's his parents. It sounds like they should have had him evaluated instead of just kicking him out.

Maybe the parents don't have health insurance on him and can't afford treatment and meds. Maybe they don't understand the symptoms of mental illnesses. Maybe they are in denial.

I have a student in this situation. He was exhibiting unusual behaviors (I think bipolar disorder with acute depression -- he tried to commit suicide a few times). Because of FERPA, we couldn't legally contact his mother. I asked his girlfriend to tell her ASAP. She did. The mother didn't get him any treatment and let him just stay home and skip classes. He had a 3.6 average prior to spring semester and was supposed to graduate in May. He failed everything this spring. I just can't believe his mother did nothing.

No excuse for Cozzie brutally murdering someone.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
JT has business cards, so I'd say he's more of a travelling businessman than a hobo.

Um, travelling businessmen stay in hotels or condos not on the beach trying to get money from people. I am sorry, but if he works and has business cards he should try to find a cheap room someplace or if there are people that don't mind him there, why don't you offer him there, why not let him stay with you. I moved here to get away from the crime where I lived and for the friendliness abd beauty of the place. I had no idea we had homesless people living under walk overs on the beach or elsewhere. It certainly detracts from the beauty and safety of this place.