• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Dunelaker, are you telling me that during all the meetings by the re-districting committee and all the support offered them by the county, they managed to submit to public scrutiny a map (3D) that was not in compliance with the requirements necessary? Are you sure its not just your interpretation of the map? Please, explain to us what your real reason for wanting your map is? It takes away from a possible increase in representation in South Walton that 3D appears to offer. I hope the meeting in Paxton today brings to light all possibilities in the re-districting effort.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Dunelaker, are you telling me that during all the meetings by the re-districting committee and all the support offered them by the county, they managed to submit to public scrutiny a map (3D) that was not in compliance with the requirements necessary? Are you sure its not just your interpretation of the map? Please, explain to us what your real reason for wanting your map is? It takes away from a possible increase in representation in South Walton that 3D appears to offer. I hope the meeting in Paxton today brings to light all possibilities in the re-districting effort.

Yes, Andy A, it (Plan 3D) doesn't meet standard redistricting guidelines of being compact, contiguous, respecting communities of like interest or maintain the core of prior districts. Unbelievable, but true. Plan 3D is what they (appointed committee members) wanted, drew and what they voted on with very little voiced and disclosed reasoning behind their vote. The meeting and redistricting was pretty much over after the 2010 election. Andy A, plain and simple of why I would have liked a plan that met these requirements and provided fair representation for all of Walton County. I want the best for Walton County, and plan 3D isn't it. Most people would not care to participate in this process and put up with its known contentious nature. Its almost over. The commissioners and school board members just have to bless. Not sure what, if any, effect a complaint to the United States Department of Justice would do. This will probably just have to be one of those "I told you so" moments as it plays out. I would have been quite happy with the committees 3A map with a little numbers work, but they threw that out before they got started. There were some fair, workable plans they could have chosen. With five each commissioners and school board members, South Walton has the numbers mostly for 2/5 of said seats, not 3. What's fair about trying to stretch to 3? Knowing how to count, never expected to see some of the fair compliant plans adopted, but still can't believe they adopted the one they did. More citizens should participate. Maybe they'll do so after this plays out for a bit.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
`Dunelaker, thank you for your response. I feel there are two sides to this story and I have friends on both sides. I am not sure we are getting the straight skinny from either one. What were the results of the Paxton meeting today?

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
`Dunelaker, thank you for your response. I feel there are two sides to this story and I have friends on both sides. I am not sure we are getting the straight skinny from either one. What were the results of the Paxton meeting today?

It was a lightly attended meeting, unlike the 40 or so that showed up for the South Walton meeting. Most of those who showed up in South Walton meeting did not drive up or attend the Paxton meeting. A private citizen from Sandestin spoke against 3D as did another South Walton resident, but lawyer Lloyd Blue spoke for it 3D and mentioned developers/owners Tom Bechnel and Peter Bos. Lee Perry of South Walton spoke in favor of 3D saying he liked the idea of 3 South seats. Tom Terrell of Mossyhead was in favor of 3D. A few others sat quietly and observed. Most striking action other than the adoption of 3D without the individual members saying why they were voting for it, was the early action of the committee to throw out the committee's plan 3A, which imo needed just a little numbers work to be okay. Robert Nelson was the only one to vote against this action. It also occurred without any extensive discussion by the committee. A reporter was there from the DeFuniak Springs Herald and perhaps recorded all this "non" action and "little in depth" discussion on this important, complicated topic before voting. Not a lot of light was shed except by Bonnie McQuiston and Ronnie Bell who probably talked the most. I think Ronnie drew plan 3D and Bonnie has been going around promoting. (not sure how that works into open meeting laws and notice for meetings, but oh well). Bottom line, they quickly voted after the brief public comment section ended. 10 zip I think. Think they are ready for summer vacation and ready to pass this off to commissioners and school board members.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It was a lightly attended meeting, unlike the 40 or so that showed up for the South Walton meeting. Most of those who showed up in South Walton meeting did not drive up or attend the Paxton meeting. A private citizen from Sandestin spoke against 3D as did another South Walton resident, but lawyer Lloyd Blue spoke for it 3D and mentioned developers/owners Tom Bechnel and Peter Bos. Lee Perry of South Walton spoke in favor of 3D saying he liked the idea of 3 South seats. Tom Terrell of Mossyhead was in favor of 3D. A few others sat quietly and observed. Most striking action other than the adoption of 3D without the individual members saying why they were voting for it, was the early action of the committee to throw out the committee's plan 3A, which imo needed just a little numbers work to be okay. Robert Nelson was the only one to vote against this action. It also occurred without any extensive discussion by the committee. A reporter was there from the DeFuniak Springs Herald and perhaps recorded all this "non" action and "little in depth" discussion on this important, complicated topic before voting. Not a lot of light was shed except by Bonnie McQuiston and Ronnie Bell who probably talked the most. I think Ronnie drew plan 3D and Bonnie has been going around promoting. (not sure how that works into open meeting laws and notice for meetings, but oh well). Bottom line, they quickly voted after the brief public comment section ended. 10 zip I think. Think they are ready for summer vacation and ready to pass this off to commissioners and school board members.

So if I understand this, 3D will give us 3 districts, but our representation will most likely come from north of the bay. Which, in our experience, has not been a good thing for SoWal.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
So if I understand this, 3D will give us 3 districts, but our representation will most likely come from north of the bay. Which, in our experience, has not been a good thing for SoWal.

Why, South Walton has just been taken care of here. With North Walton having a good lock on their interests and the Okaloosa developers having control - the Jay Odom Freeport District 1 and the Tom Bechnel, Peter Bos Districts 4 and 5 - there is no need for South Walton people to do anything but fish, play golf and hang out at the beach. The Okaloosa developers even have their candidate picked or certainly have him preening in the wings.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The article in the Herald mentioned something about the costs for all this being around $30 million for all the travel etc. Any truth to that?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The $30 million reference was to reports by some media (not the DF Herald) about the cost of the STATE redistricting process. The legislators disputed those reports but did not give a number for what the cost was. It does get a little confusing with the different redistricting processes going on now.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
And ... it could be a very good thing for Jay Odom's Freeport interests and developments. It takes the sparsley populated 388 new four lane roadway corridor to the new West Bay Airport from South Walton and puts it in with Freeport. Freeport representative will probably make decisions about evacuation, travel and business development in this part of South Walton. Guess we should also look for new West Bay airport area evacuation/training center.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It would still seem that we have five Commissioners that we can contact with our praise, suggestions and complaints. If we vote for all five, it is my contention they will listen to what we have to say, particularly if it is as a group.