• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Hawk

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2005
Mason, Ohio
Our family will be down around Seacreast Beach/Rosemary Beach July 8-16 and I would like to take my two oldest boys, ages 14 and 12, out fishing in the Gulf. I'd appreciate it if anyone had any advice on some reputable charters and what I'd need to do to arrange for a great fishing experience for the two. I presume that a short 1/2 day trip would probably be best since they have never done this before but I'm definitely open to recommendations. Thanks.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Deep sea fishing off Grayton rocks! Don't forget the camera!

And remember sunglasses, and sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Especially on the ears/back of neck, knees, and feet.

dcgoz

Beach Lover
May 12, 2008
I second SkunkApe's rec. Capt Mike is great -I've been out fishing with him twice with my 11 yr old and had a super time. He's very good with kids and we caught tons of fish both trips. Launches off of Grayton Beach. www.[B]triggerhappy[/B]fishing.com/

Beach Hawk

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2005
Mason, Ohio
Thanks for the recommendations. I have one other question (stupid, but then I am a rookie at this): What is the proper etiquette for paying and should I tip the captain on top of the fee? I'll try to contact Capt. Mike but wanted to make sure I do the right thing and not offend anyone unintentionally!

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Jimbo launches off Grayton. We have fished with Sam Wesley and he charges a set fee for himself and 20% tip for the mate. Hope this helps.

rblessed1031

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2008
Dune Allen
My 2 cents - Capt. Larry with Dead Fish Charters is the best, we have used him several times and have always come back with a lot of fish in the box and wore out! If you go to the home page of this website and scroll half way down, he has a blog. He keeps up with what is biting and posts pictures of what people are catching. Pretty much all of the charters will do the same thing - take you out (1/2 day or full day), help you get set up to catch the fish, bring you back and clean them for you. All of the captain's around are great, but I like the fact that Capt Larry posts what is going on, so that I have documented proof of what I caught - to back up my fish tales.