• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
BRCM long, short INTC.

You're welcome, this ones a freebie.

Sure Lucy. Whatever.

images

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
'completely wrong' ok dilbert. you don't like 40% gains in 12 weeks, just because the pick comes back to test the bottom. Setting aside the fact that I outlined a 50 yr hold period, if you make 40% on anything in a couple months, take profits.
As far as JOE goes now. Now, again, is the time to buy JOE for 50 yr hold again. This time, if you make 40% on your money in the short term, you might want to lock in some of those gains, by selling calls.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
'completely wrong' ok dilbert. you don't like 40% gains in 12 weeks, just because the pick comes back to test the bottom. Setting aside the fact that I outlined a 50 yr hold period, if you make 40% on anything in a couple months, take profits.
As far as JOE goes now. Now, again, is the time to buy JOE for 50 yr hold again. This time, if you make 40% on your money in the short term, you might want to lock in some of those gains, by selling calls.

I don't understand this, maybe you could enlighten me. Why would you buy and hold a non-dividend paying stock for 50 years? Where do you anticipate the pay off? Do you expect JOE to start paying a dividend at some point, in which case why purchase before they do? Also, since most folks start investing in the market in their thirties after 50 years they would be eighty, so what would be the point of a 50 year hold? Are you serious about the 50 year time frame, or do you anticipate a run up and expect to sell off shares in the interim? My questions aren't meant as an attack on your idea, I'm just trying to understand why you keep putting this out.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal

50 years, a lot of us may be long dead. Your short term strategy could apply to any stock. Nothing special or compelling about JOE in that regard when you consider the thousand upon thousand of investment options.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
40% gain was artifical, fueled by rumors that Berkowitz was going to take the company private. It has dropped like a rock since that rumor burned off, and contiues to drop. Anyone that would recommend holding this stock for 50 years should spend some time driving their developments. Their best land is long gone, and anyone that suggests otherwise doesn't have a clue.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
Fairholme Fund FAIRX, managed by Morningstar Domestic-Stock Manager of the Decade Bruce Berkowitz, continues to suffer outflows. The fund shed $1.2 billion in estimated outflows in May after experiencing outflows of an estimated $1 billion in April.

This marks the fund's third consecutive month of outflows and brings the three-month total to an estimated $2.5 billion. With the fund down nearly 8% for the year to date through May, total assets have dropped to about $16 billion as of May from about $20 billion in February.

After three months of net redemptions, Berkowitz said during an interview with Bloomberg Television at the 2011 Morningstar Investment Conference that the fund now holds roughly 5% of its assets in cash, which would imply about $800 million in cash holdings. This is a dramatic shift. As of Feb. 28, the fund had about 25% of its then $20 billion portfolio in cash.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einhorn on the other hand is buying an interest in the Mets, go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006

Dilbert, sell some calls tomorrow around noon, to protect this second gift I gave you. This time by tomorrow at noon, you'll have made around 20% in three weeks. sell some calls

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
Heck of a gift robert. joe collapsed today down 10% today not far from lows again. you've been dead wrong on this