• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
Technically, the school district does not have to provide any reason at all when not renewing an annual contract. There is no due process for teachers who are not on "continuing" or "professional" contract. Thanks to the new law just passed, this will become the new norm for teachers who have been employed in FL for less than 4 years by this year. Starting this year, those who do not have the "continued contract" by now will never be eligible for one.

Last edited:

amarettodiamore

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2011
Goddessgal your absolutely correct they don't have to give a reason why, but the principal did give them a reason and the reason was "the position is being eliminated due to budget". One would also think if your going to let teachers go who are not on annual contract wouldn't you start with your weakest teachers? If you were the principal of that school why would you let your School Improvement Team chair, your teacher of the year, and the two teachers with the highest FCAT scores in the district go instead of teachers who were not performing as well? All 4 of these teachers had extremely high evaluations. If these teachers were let go because of the budget why weren't they called back when the principal posted SIX teaching positions? Ask yourself is what is being done in the best interest of those children going to that school?

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
There were some comments in the Daily News about that same kind of contract non-renewal going on at Maude Sanders Elementary, so it could be a district-wide policy rather than something to blame on the principal at Bay.

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
Bobby is so right! Back in 2003, an atrocity was done to the education system in Walton County and for no other reason than personal preferences by the administration. Can't fight it!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Technically, the school district does not have to provide any reason at all when not renewing an annual contract. There is no due process for teachers who are not on "continuing" or "professional" contract. Thanks to the new law just passed, this will become the new norm for teachers who have been employed in FL for less than 4 years by this year. Starting this year, those who do not have the "continued contract" by now will never be eligible for one.

So, this is a new law and a new practice?
very disturbing.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Bobby is so right! Back in 2003, an atrocity was done to the education system in Walton County and for no other reason than personal preferences by the administration. Can't fight it!

When we were all going through this last time (2003), I was the PTO president. A good friend of mine tried to warn me. He said they do what they want and there really is nothing we can do about it unless you wanna try to get on the board. I really didn't believe him until I watched all the teachers involved lose their jobs.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I requested a few other articles that our paper did recently on the school board and such. I didn't get them on Friday, but I will post them on Monday as soon as I get them. One that may be of particular intrest is a meeting Sup. Anderson had with our local Tea Party. I'll post them as soon as I can them into my in-box.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Can anyone tell me the names of the teachers this thread is discussing? Thanks.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
What, by taking teacher tenure away, teachers can be fired for no reason other than I want it that way. Well surely they are underperforming teachers, sarcasm inferred.