• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
were closed last Sunday and Monday in SoWal..Destin..and FWB...For an area that businesses have a 4 month window to make their money for the year in to be closed 1 or for some 2 days on one of the most crowded weekends I have seen in SoWal in years this makes little sense to me at all....The funny thing is after I noticed it several others I know in the area mentioned it to me as well...We all could not believe that the businesses would not at least stay open all week at a minimum on the 3 Three Day Summer Weekends....I personally ran into closed establishments at 970...San Gelato Cafe.. Salty Duck...Hightide..Fire..Naked Grape..Smiling Fish...and a friend of mine told me about several that were closed near where he lives in Seagrove...I guess the area and it's businesses are doing so well they can close for one or two days on a Holiday Weekend

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I was actually surprised at how many places were open and felt sorry for the people who had to work on the holiday.

I don't think open 6 days a week and closed on a national holiday is a sign of laziness.

Kudos to those businesses that are willing to make a little less money to allow their employees time to enjoy a holiday weekend with their families! So often the important things in life are neglected for the sake of profit. :)

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
I was actually surprised at how many places were open and felt sorry for the people who had to work on the holiday.

I don't think open 6 days a week and closed on a national holiday is a sign of laziness.

Really was not remarking on whether it indicated laziness....was more surprised that food and beverage businesses in this economy could afford to be closed any days during a rocking Holiday Weekend...I mean there are 7-8 months a year in SoWal where you could close for the season and nobody may notice...employees can get their rest then

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Several of the food/beverage places you mentioned are open and busy year round - they don't depend on a holiday weekend surge, but repeat visits from locals and tourists alike.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
I guess I'm weird, because I don't think of the Fourth as a family holiday -- it's a social holiday. Family holidays, in my mind, are those like Thanksgiving and Christmas or Easter, holidays that revolve around intimate gatherings, and family or religious traditions. Social holidays are about our place within the community, our shared history as a people. Almost everyone I knew was out and about, at the beach and then gathering at a restaurant to eat before going to watch fireworks. So it does seem odd to me that some restaurants would be closed. But that's their choice, of course, and they have their reasons.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think of the 4th as a backyard cookout/picnic/beach holiday, not a restaurant holiday.

All I know is I sure wouldn't want to have to work those days, so I am not surprised others chose not to.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
As a former server, it was usually a dead night/weekend to work since most (not all) folks were bbqing or getting a spot on the beach to watch the fireworks.

This year seems to be different and unexpectedly busy...maybe something to look at for next year.

I think of the 4th as a backyard cookout/picnic/beach holiday, not a restaurant holiday.

All I know is I sure wouldn't want to have to work those days, so I am not surprised others chose not to.
I can't count how many times we've driven to Midtown at the crack of dawn, taken MARTA to Lenox, run the Peachtree, climbed the hill back to our parking spot, and then driven to SoWal to do a cookout at our home in Seagrove.

Not quite so energetic now. So it's a restaurant holiday for us. We go to Ted's on Peachtree after the race. Then we drive to Newnan to visit Mom. When you have kids who have jobs, they can't spend a week at the beach for the week of the 4th, especially since our son-in-law is teaching a EE class at Georgia Tech this summer. So I'd rather be with my family who are spread out around the ATL area.

But I miss running the Peachtree and cooking out at the beach afterwards.