• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The recent death of a cyclist is tragic and visitors need to be aware of heavy, dangerous traffic to prevent further tragedies. Does the TDC offer any cyclist info?

Cyclists and autos have a right to be on the road, but if there is a mishap the cyclist is usually the loser. I live here and would not ride a bike on hwy 98 or 30A, unless able to do so on the bike path. What are your thoughts?

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/cyclist-41525-death-says.html

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The recent death of a cyclist is tragic and visitors need to be aware of heavy, dangerous traffic to prevent further tragedies. Does the TDC offer any cyclist info?

Cyclists and autos have a right to be on the road, but if there is a mishap the cyclist is usually the loser. I live here and would not ride a bike on hwy 98 or 30A, unless able to do so on the bike path. What are your thoughts?

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/cyclist-41525-death-says.html

Does the TDC offer any cyclist info?

That is a good question which I'll pass along. We can surely offer safety info and tips here.

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
This is second hand information, not facts from the source, but I heard that the TDC has $10 million in BP money that they want to use to build a Pier at Grayton Beach State Park. Well why not use the BP money to build a separate bike path on 98? If they can build a Pier why not a bike path? The bed tax money may have specific uses but I don't think the BP money does.

I question why anyone would actually want to bike along 98? I drive 98 every day to work and see very few bikers along that stretch. I know for myself that biking is a pleasure and personally see little to no pleasure in biking along a highway with heavy traffic. But then again, I also think biking on the road on 30a is assinine when there is a bikepath right there, yet plenty seem to enjoy risking their lives while slowing traffic to a crawl. As for the bike path on 98, I think that would be a waste of money. I would much rather see the money go where a greater percentage of people would enjoy it.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I question why anyone would actually want to bike along 98? I drive 98 every day to work and see very few bikers along that stretch. I know for myself that biking is a pleasure and personally see little to no pleasure in biking along a highway with heavy traffic. But then again, I also think biking on the road on 30a is assinine when there is a bikepath right there, yet plenty seem to enjoy risking their lives while slowing traffic to a crawl. As for the bike path on 98, I think that would be a waste of money. I would much rather see the money go where a greater percentage of people would enjoy it.

A waste of money indeed. Most of the people biking on 98 are serious bikers looking for a long straightaway for a good fast max speed run. To each his own. Other than that it's a dreary ride. Very few bikers use 98 for basic transportation. I could see adding bike lanes to some of the county roads connecting 30A to 98 that don't already have them.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Some people bike 98 to get to work, but I think most 98 riders are serious road bikers trying to rack up miles from point A to B.

I would like to see separate paths on 98 and all major connector roads between 98 and 30A. I would bike a 98 path, but no way in hell would I bike 98 shoulder!

trout bum

Beach Comber
Jul 2, 2011
Well I been riding down here since the 80s and riding on 30a has become to dangerous What I do now is mix in alot of back roads like East washington point 283 and 393 also back by eden there is a nice road that deadends and use the bike path for a warm up or a cooldown I go thru watercolors and practice crit riding the total mileage 15 to 20 miles and more miles if you add the 2 state parks. I don't worry about dist down here just go short and hard.I did ride on 98 the day before the cyclist was killed about the same time and place and every day now the thought in my mine it could have been Me.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
As a cyclist and SoWal resident I'll say HWY 98 is a bad choice for a ride. 30A is a little better but still sketchy after 8am. So I try to get out early. I agree with Trout that 283 is a good spot for safe miles. It's sad and scary that a cyclist has to fight for their entitled space on any road. But until drivers who commit a Homicide by vehicle are charged as such then expect more deaths to occur. Cell Phone behind the wheel is the same as being .08 or higher. But the fines sure aren't the same in most places. Being the cause of someones else death doesn't seem to have much consequences anymore apparently. And can be profitable, Right Ms. Anthony!