• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I don't know how the restaurant business fared over the holiday but Publix was rocking with families/visitors buying up all the beer and bbq fixings!!! Seems like people were definitely cooking out for the holiday - locals and visitors alike. ALL the frozen limeade was GONE from the freezer section! A publix employee said that was the most popular item people buy to make mixed drinks... who knew?

Last edited:

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know how the restaurant business fared over the holiday but Publix was rocking with families/visitors buying up all the beer and bbq fixings!!! Seems like people were definitely cooking out for the holiday - locals and visitors alike. ALL the frozen limeade was GONE from the freezer section! A publix employee said that was the most popular item people buy to make mixed drinks... who knew?

Well I can tell ya from firsthand experience Stinky's was a 2+ Hour wait Saturday Night...Elmo's was mobbed as was the Vue...many of us were commenting all weekend it was by far the most crowded we had ever seen the 30A Area..it was like Destin itself which it is normally much quieter than

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Ever tried to tell a $8/hr employee that they have to work on holidays?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Nothing says "Happy Independence Day" like going to work instead of celebrating. :roll:

Green Knight

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2009
Nothing says "Happy Independence Day" like going to work instead of celebrating. :roll:

I think most people are fully aware when they work in Hospitality that it is not 9 to 5 and that you will be working most weekends and Holidays as well

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
I knew limeade, a blender, ice, and spirits was great to have ever since my days at UofAL many years ago. Lots of visitors must have been with me back in those days!

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Well I can tell ya from firsthand experience Stinky's was a 2+ Hour wait Saturday Night...Elmo's was mobbed as was the Vue...many of us were commenting all weekend it was by far the most crowded we had ever seen the 30A Area..it was like Destin itself which it is normally much quieter than

Crowded Saturday night? Yes. Sunday night? Probably. Monday night (the actual holiday)? Nope. Dead. Zip, nothin', nada... Not the restaurant where I work, and not the two or three others that I know workers for off-hand... they may have gotten a slight bustle a little early in the evening, but by around 7 o'clock, everybody was out the door, fighting over firework observation real estate. I'd be willing to bet that a large majority was using the foodstuffs from Publix (as mentioned above by Toots) to grill out with family and friends.

It's simply not a night worth being open for most restaurants. But, like I said, the days leading up to, and immediately after were blockbusters. And I can't think of any restaurants who were closed on those days that would not ordinarily be--keeping in mind that several area establishments are typically closed on Sundays and/or Mondays. I am not personally familiar with the hours of some of the places you originally mentioned, but if they're not usually open, they probably would not receive a surge of business on a holiday simply because people would not think of them for that day.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

Yes, this place was packed out for the week.
I can only imagine the wait at Stinky's, Red Bar, etc.
Elmos was mobbed? I haven't been there in years - glad everyone was enjoying a busy week.

I had a talk with one of the Publix Managers about the week and he said it was very different from last year. This year, everyone is back to staying for the full week (last year, renters allowed shorter visits in an effort to keep people coming to the beach after the spill). When families stay for the full week - there is a LOT more grocery shopping and cooking at home. But still - those same families are also going out to some of their favorite places for lunch and/or dinner at least a few times during the week. Some families eat out every night.. but Publix is seeing more big grocery shopping this year by the visitors than last year.

Last edited:

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
My son worked on the 4th and was HAPPY to do so! Around here, you got to make hay while the sun shines! :)

My son worked on the 4th and was HAPPY to do so! Around here, you got to make hay while the sun shines! :)
This has been wonderful start to summer, my work is focused on breakfast and lunch and business (already busy) gets even busier when the sun doesn't shine ;) so I could say "make hay while it rains".. beach is not so popular during a thunder storm. Sure love the devotion people have for our area, I have so many people who just keep coming back year after year, and consider SoWal their second home and wish it was their first, it is what make this place so very special