• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lisa C

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Apr 16, 2011
Santa Rosa Beach
Great article in Southern Living on Grayton Beach!! :clap:

http://www.southernliving.com/trave...beach-the-original-beach-town-00417000073493/
If other spots on Scenic Highway 30A are pastel and linen, Grayton Beach is rough-sawn and burlap. Artists and fishermen, retirees and surfers, populate a clutch of mostly modest clapboard and brick houses crowding a tangle of sand-and-shell lanes. Insulated by the Grayton Beach State Park to the east and west, Point Washington State Forest to the north, and the Gulf to the south, this village (about 30 minutes east of Destin) relies on self-sufficiency and old-fashioned logic.

For example, newcomers are aghast that permit-carrying locals drive on the sparkling white beach. For Graytonites, the reasons are obvious: Not only is it their inalienable right to assemble for sunset tailgate cocktails, but anglers need a spot to launch their boats. “We’re not just laid-back,” says one local. “We’re lying down.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
“We’re not just laid-back,” says one local. “We’re lying down.”

:lol:

Love it! - Grayton Beach may just have a new slogan.

:chill:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
As a life-long beach boy from the Eastern Lake area, I've always had a secret, envious, admiration for the community of Grayton Beach. Our little lake region does not quite have the history, nor the wonderful heritage of the Old Butler Store (AKA the Red Bar) as a central meeting place. Until Seaside emerged, Grayton was the entire social entertainment for this neck of the woods. It's still the go to place for warm friends, cold beer, and nice dogs.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
“We’re not just laid-back,” says one local. “We’re lying down.”

:lol:

Love it! - Grayton Beach may just have a new slogan.

:chill:

I'd buy that bumper sticker!