• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
At Butler the PTO supports the school by providing items the District budget can't/won't; such as technology (active boards, projectors, computer lab...). It doesn't/hasn't gone to the School Board as a PTO about any issues. The PTO usually goes to Mrs. Smith who will take our concerns to the proper people. There have been one or 2 rogue parents who have gone to the Board regarding issues, however those parents have not been asked by PTO to do so. As far as I know Butler PTO doesn't have anyone that is on the PTO exec board that is part of the SIT. If there are parents from the school that are involved they do not report back to the PTO.

Maybe Butler PTO needs to revamp a little - as they are doing already - but add some type of "School Enhancement Team". This team would be responsible for getting people to the Board meetings, letting parents what's going on in the District, finding out where the school needs improvements by communicating with the SIT... lots of room for improvement everywhere... I will suggest this team to Butler PTO.

As far as tomorrow's meeting - I am unable to make that too. As good as this discussion is, we need to give people more notice for meetings. Thank you for getting it set up!

amarettodiamore

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2011
At Butler the PTO supports the school by providing items the District budget can't/won't; such as technology (active boards, projectors, computer lab...). It doesn't/hasn't gone to the School Board as a PTO about any issues. The PTO usually goes to Mrs. Smith who will take our concerns to the proper people. There have been one or 2 rogue parents who have gone to the Board regarding issues, however those parents have not been asked by PTO to do so. As far as I know Butler PTO doesn't have anyone that is on the PTO exec board that is part of the SIT. If there are parents from the school that are involved they do not report back to the PTO.

Maybe Butler PTO needs to revamp a little - as they are doing already - but add some type of "School Enhancement Team". This team would be responsible for getting people to the Board meetings, letting parents what's going on in the District, finding out where the school needs improvements by communicating with the SIT... lots of room for improvement everywhere... I will suggest this team to Butler PTO.

As far as tomorrow's meeting - I am unable to make that too. As good as this discussion is, we need to give people more notice for meetings. Thank you for getting it set up!

momof2kids, jdarg and all others, canceling tomorrow night is not a problem. When I scheduled the room for tomorrow I also scheduled it for July 21st from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. just in case. I'll will go ahead and cancel for tomorrow night and let's shoot for the 21st. If you can please spread the word.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I urge everyone to read the SBDM manual on the website in my previous post. It may be a starting point for generating some ideas of how we as parents and a community have more input in our schools. I hope there is lots of discussion and ideas- a virtual brainstorm session! Ah SoWal.com, where ideas come to life and more people can participate!

And Momof2kids, sometimes parents just have to go rogue. :cool: Believe me, most parents that have had to take the "rogue" route would really rather be doing other things. Thankfully there are quite a few parents who are fully committed to effect change and improvement.

Of course burnout becomes an issue.....but that is a whole 'nother thread. I know that many have just given up.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Why not just convert all the schools to public charters, appoint local community boards to run them, then they would make the hiring/firing decisions? Depending on the make-up of the students, they actually could get more money from the State then they currently do if I am understanding the rules correctly.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
At Butler the PTO supports the school by providing items the District budget can't/won't; such as technology (active boards, projectors, computer lab...).

Actually technology is the one thing that can be purchased out of capital funds, which we have plenty of. The district budget has the shortfall in the operational side. Why PTOs are constantly buying things that we can afford, and never buying things that there is no money for, like classroom supplies, seems a little misguided.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
They may be able afford to buy them but not in bulk that the parents at Butler want. We want all classrooms to be 21st century classrooms asap, not over the next 5+ years. IMO our elementary schools are falling behind technologically and if PTO can help get the technology in the classrooms faster than the District then do it. I want my kid learning on updated technology with computers that work & internet that doesn't constantly cut out or run like dial up. If PTO can help that, then do it. In the times we are in, all classrooms need to be equipped with the latest technology. Plus the teachers are begging for better technology - PTO is there to support the school & teachers and make sure our kids are getting the best they can at a public school.

Each school is given a set budget for technology which can be spent on new computers for rooms, new teachers, new printers for the school, bulbs for projectors, active boards, among other things. Sometimes that budget can be used in the first 2 months of school. I believe it is up to the Principal of each school to decide how that money is allocated.

There is money for classroom supplies from the State and District, and Butler PTO does fundraisers where each teacher is given money throughout the year for whatever they decide to spend it on. There are many little things VRB PTO purchases throughout the year (heavy duty pencil sharpeners, playground toys, among other things) for the staff.

Last edited:

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
Thank you to all of the parents working to maker our schools better! On paper, it may look like we can afford all of the technology that we need. In practice --- I teach in a school (in Walton County) where about 1/3 of classrooms have active boards or projectors. Meanwhile, part of our annual teaching evaluations (which will be soon be tied to our salary range) is based on evaluating our use of technology. Many active boards were received in relation to grants, but we often lack the sufficient manpower for tech support and money for upgrades and software. Many of us end up buying our own printer paper, cartridges, and sometimes hundreds of dollars of classroom supplies just to make it through the year. We do the best with what we have, or do what we can to make it happen.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
They may be able afford to buy them but not in bulk that the parents at Butler want. We want all classrooms to be 21st century classrooms asap, not over the next 5+ years. IMO our elementary schools are falling behind technologically and if PTO can help get the technology in the classrooms faster than the District then do it.

Just how much are you talking in dollars? They can spend 6+ million on a stadium in DFS. Smartboards are no longer that expensive.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Just how much are you talking in dollars? They can spend 6+ million on a stadium in DFS. Smartboards are no longer that expensive.

You're right. They aren't as expensive as they use to be. However from what I can remember (I may be incorrect) when the schools get their allotted money - they are allowed to spend the money on certain items for each section of the budget (technology, office supplies, maintenance, etc).

I can't find the thread about the stadium - but that thread explains the how's & why's of the how that money came to be & how it's to be spent. If I recall correctly that money is for improvements on the existing stadium to make it ada compliant among other things...

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
You're right. They aren't as expensive as they use to be. However from what I can remember (I may be incorrect) when the schools get their allotted money - they are allowed to spend the money on certain items for each section of the budget (technology, office supplies, maintenance, etc).

I can't find the thread about the stadium - but that thread explains the how's & why's of the how that money came to be & how it's to be spent. If I recall correctly that money is for improvements on the existing stadium to make it ada compliant among other things...

I had heard that the South Walton High School Stadium and track would have been fine for county track meets etc.