• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I had a delivery of Creole Tomatoes from Nola in May. Haven't seen a decent mater since! But, if you have 'em, make this:

6-8 ripe tomatoes - blanched and peeled
8-10 jalapenos - seeded and chopped in a little chopper (use gloves when handling)
bunch of green onions, chopped
2 avacados
cilantro - chopped
plenty of salt
pepper

roughly chop tomatoes in to large chunks.
Place in blender with about 1/2 cup of blanching water (at this point I add a small part of the jalapenos and cilantro, and maybe onions to blend well with tomatoes).
Blend well!
pour into large bowl and add:
chopped jalapenos
chopped green onions
salt/pepper
(I like LOTs of salt in salsa)
chopped cilantro to taste

half avacados, discard seed, holding half in hand, score inside stuff with a knife making small squares, and scoop out into the salsa.
mix well and get some good tortilla chips! maybe some chile con queso. enjoy!

this makes a good amount - but it won't last long. I learned this recipe by watching a local Mexican-American family make it while waiting to pick up food at their house - several years ago. Miss their food! You had to be on their list and they would call around every few weeks to say they were cooking. You placed an order whether you had plans or not. You never wanted to be removed from the list! and you surely never wanted to miss the chicken or beef or mashed potato tacos (rolled & fried tacos). omg.

Last edited:

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
Tootsie, that recipe sounds fabulous! I've never made salsa before, think I'll have to give it a try. HOWEVER... Geo made some last summer with mandarin oranges & sold it at the farmers market... and I stood in my kitchen and ate more than half the jar that afternoon. It was amazing! I'm thinking we need a salsa contest, and I nominate myself as a judge. :D

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
Basically, you just need chopped up tomatoes, onions, jalapenos (remove the seeds to be not-hot), a little cilantro, and lime juice (or vinegar). Let it sit for a while for the flavors to "marry." That's it! :) Of course, there are endless variations.

Just DO NOT touch your hands to your eyes after handling jalapenos! That would not be good...