• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Does the 3M window film have any benefit in hurricanes or is for the most part for light filtering?

We put up solar screens here in TX and they help a lot.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Steve the window guy did ours - he is awesome. And the 3m is supposed to help with hurricanes but can't remember how much - I'm never boarding up again!

The Window Guy

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks to all who have positive comments!!!

Attn: Rita

The safety/security version of the film will help and strengthen the glass for better protection. It comes in clear or tinted. It is a high-impact lamination for your existing glass. Most insurance companies recognize the benefits and offer a discount!

Call me anytime for further info!

:wave:Thanks again Sowallers.........................................

:cool:Steve - The Window Guy 850-687-0646 - www.scdesigninginc.com

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Unless the film is anchored to the perimeter of the window, it does not offer hurricane protection. Think about it. If something breaks the glass, yes the film holds all the pieces of glass together, but what holds the glass from all falling out of the window frame itself?

See this in local legislation regarding some film companies. I know Steve and I've never seen him make any false claims. Not everyone out there is on the up and up though.

Florida Takes Bold Stand to Protect the Consumer of Hurricane Protection Products
Lantana, FL, July 02, 2011 - Thomas Johnston, President of the International Hurricane Protection Association (IHPA), announced today that the IHPA applauds Florida lawmakers for moving forward with legislation (Florida HB 849) to protect consumers purchasing hurricane protection products in the State of Florida. The new law, effective July 1, 2011 makes it a violation of the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, to advertise, sell, offer, provide, distribute or market any product as hurricane, windstorm or impact resistant unless it is in compliance with the provisions for product approval in the Florida Building Code.

If you want to be sure you're truly getting hurricane protection, ask for the Florida approval number that Billy Bearden's crew need as proof of protection. I sell hurricane tested windows should you have any questions.

Last edited:

The Window Guy

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
In reponse to the last thread. Safety & Security film is not Florida code approved. I have never said it is, although some dealers will tell you anything you need to hear.
However, some insurance companies like Frontline will accept it. Almost all of my sales are recommendations from the actual local agencies that sell Frontline.
Like all products, they have there limitations. Some south Florida film dealers are saying it is hurricane proof. I sell it as safety/security window film that does work!
I know the product is a great alternative to much higher priced options.
Example: I used regular film on the Allstate insurance building in Ft.Walton. Recently a person drove into the front windows and destroyed the brick knee-wall and large windows. My Film held everything together. Pretty cool!!!
Call: Mike Cheney @ Allstate - 850-862-0131 to confirm!

:clap:Thanks for the nice comment from Anthony about me! Remember that there is a product for every situation and price!

Good luck to all in this Hurricance season!

The Window Guy a.ka. Steve @ S.C. Designing, Inc.
850-687-0646