• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ls2006vacay

Beach Lover
May 3, 2006
Hi,

My son has autism and is on the gluten free casein free diet. He eats some particular items (picky) that are allergy-free. We can find them here in MD at health food stores, whole foods, etc. I have heard of one store (For the Health of it? is it called) It sounded like a smaller store - I'm worried that we won't be able to find his favorite items and my husband thinks we need to ship food down.. being that it's cold and frozen etc it's a hassle.. I was hoping for a whole foods but looks like there isn't one.. can someone tell me my best bets for finding good selection of organic/allergy free items? Destin is fine too, even panama city (that's where we're flying in and out of)

thanks!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
For the Health of It would probably have the best staff in terms of familiarity with what his needs are. If they don't have what you need, both Publix (locations throughout the Panhandle) and Fresh Market in Destin have good organics and such selections.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
We're gluten-free and did casein-free for a bit. Not sure what your son's favorites are, but you can find a fair selection in Publix Greenwise section. In Santa Rosa Beach, the Grand Boulevard (Sandestin) location has a better selection than the new Santa Rosa Beach location. I've not been in any of the PCB locations, but it seems bigger is better when it comes to Greenwise choices. All Publix carry Boar's Head products, which are GF. For The Health of It on 30A in Blue Mountain Beach is also a good choice. Owners and staff have good knowledge of GF/CF diets and products. For instance, you can get ghee there, which Publix doesn't carry. And GF hotdogs and buns. Both have Pamela's cookies, GF cereals and casein-free cheeses (in the produce section in Publix). Only FTHOI has Zevia soft drinks. FTHOI has such fab service that they'll actually order stuff for you to pick up when you arrive. http://shopforthehealthofit.com/

Hope this helps!

Vitamin D

Beach Comber
Jan 28, 2011
Also be sure to check out LaLoba's Bakery in the same center as For the Heath of It. They do fantastic GF baked goods like cupcakes, cookies and cakes that are organic and very tasty..

ls2006vacay

Beach Lover
May 3, 2006
Thank you all this is SO helpful!
Does anyone know where I can find Amy's Gluten Free Casein Free macaroni (frozen)? Haven't had any luck yet.
We have been Fresh Market and Publix.. We will still check out these other places you mentioned. If anyone uses the above macaroni though and knows where I can find it it would be very helpful :) :) :)

ls2006vacay

Beach Lover
May 3, 2006
Just wanted to report that we found what we needed today at For the Health of It. It was such a lovely experience, very friendly and helpful staff. We joked that now we can move here cause we know they have the food we need. DH said when we win the lottery we'll spend winters here ;)

Thanks for the recs!

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
When you go to For the Health of It, you MUST check out La Lobas bakery next door.

I know its a repeat but often tourists don't listen