• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Never stayed anywhere BUT North of 30-A... never less than three kids in tow... often six. Never a problem. We always have our youngest's hand. We have also always had the stop sign in Watercolor to cross, until recently when we stayed in Magnolia Cottages by the Sea.... just down from Cottages of Camp Creek. There always seems to be a nice break between a run of cars and we just wait and go then. Not a problem at all. Have a wonderful time... such a magical place to make those family memories.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I rarely have a problem with crossing the street and it is a rare occasion for me to drive on 30A and not stop multiple times so people can cross.

Though it is also a rare occasion for me to not get annoyed with people who seem baffled by such an easy and simple process.................and whose little babies must fend for themselves in traffic because a cup of coffee/something stronger and the cell phone are more important than holding their little hands.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I've literally hung out my window while sitting at a stop to try to stop traffic coming at me so someone standing in front of my vehicle can finish crossing the road. I think there are many who just don't understand that they are supposed to yield.
When I'm walking, I typically make a good long eye contact and then act as if I'm stepping right out into the road to see how quickly the cars can stop. Always ready to stop or step back if need be, but I don't have any kids with me either.
Never had anyone stop and holler at me yet for exercising my lawful rights...

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
I agree it was not too bad this year. However I only start into the crosswalk once traffic has stopped or I made eye contact with the driver and they had slowed to an almost stop so that I was sure that was their intention. There was enough traffic that I would not have started across just assuming everyone would recognize the crosswalk many times we had to wait for a couple of cars to go by before someone stopped.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
yes, as long as they are at a marked cross-walk I always yield. Unfortunetly, too many people think this applies anywhere they want to cross because they are too lazy to walk to the marked crossover. This is called jaywalking folks and not legal. I guess they figure we'll stop because if you hit someone it's going to be the drivers fault no matter what.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
With drivers on cell phones or distracted by other stuff, don't rely on making eye contact before crossing. Wait until they stop their vehicle.

I disagree that most drivers stop for people in crosswalks. I stop every time I see someone waiting to cross, and to my surprise, I see countless others pretend to not even notice. Like Ash, I've waved down oncoming cars and flashed my lights, attempting to get the attention of oncoming drivers so they would stop for people crossing. Be careful, or get a place like RiverOtter's, south of 30A.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
I always watch for people when going down 30A especially now. When I see people I just stop for them wherever they are. There are people everywhere right now so you just have to be careful. I wish people that are driving at 4 way stop signs were so courteous. They all seem to be in a hurry and do not like to wait their turn. This just started during tourist season. So people, please take your time and be more courteous to other drivers.

Dlund

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2011
Crossing the road in seacrest is not to bad at all as long as your at a marked cross walk. I have noticed people not stopping for people just standing by the road and then 30 feet down the road stop for pedestrians but they were at a marked cross walk.