• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MonicaQA

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
As a BeachCam voyeur, I cannot help but notice how heavy the June Grass/Seaweed is this year. I see piles of it on the Dune Allen cam & heavy lines of it on the shore on the Seagrove Beach cams. We will arrive in 9 days, so I have been watching the 10 day forecasts (which call for thunderstorms); does that usually help to clear out the June Grass/Seaweed? I LOVE the beach no matter what, but I do prefer the pretty water I'm used to seeing! ;-)

cpete

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Austin, Tx
We have been here two weeks and it was horrible about 5 days ago pea soup June grass with Sargasum weed in the mix (that's what you see on webcam). It has been getting slowly better. I heard it is clear in Destin. We went to shell island and it was clear (a little sargasum in the water). Mexico beach is a short drive to some clear water also.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We have friends who won't join us on 30A any more because of the June grass. They're calendars aren't restricted so they can come down alittle earlier or alittle later and save money. Mike teaches so we are restricted. Spring Break, the water is too cold. Christmas break, the water is too cold. Also, had co-worker, who heard me talk about 30A, come down for a few days when their plans changed. Didn't like the water. Sorry. It is all about the water when it comes down to it.
Maybe we'll try the 3rd week in July also next year as well as our early June week. We like to go as early as we can in June because we like riding our bikes early and even getting up early, July can be a challenge. Thank goodness for the Grove/Forest streets and Watercolor:)
Also, a side note. You guys will have a wonderful warm Christmas/New Year's because Mike and I won't be coming down:) Past 3 years, I've worn my ear muffs and long wool winter coat at night! So, it should be wonderful this year:) Ellen

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
We have friends who won't join us on 30A any more because of the June grass. They're calendars aren't restricted so they can come down alittle earlier or alittle later and save money. Mike teaches so we are restricted. Spring Break, the water is too cold. Christmas break, the water is too cold. Also, had co-worker, who heard me talk about 30A, come down for a few days when their plans changed. Didn't like the water. Sorry. It is all about the water when it comes down to it.
Maybe we'll try the 3rd week in July also next year as well as our early June week. We like to go as early as we can in June because we like riding our bikes early and even getting up early, July can be a challenge. Thank goodness for the Grove/Forest streets and Watercolor:)
Also, a side note. You guys will have a wonderful warm Christmas/New Year's because Mike and I won't be coming down:) Past 3 years, I've worn my ear muffs and long wool winter coat at night! So, it should be wonderful this year:) Ellen

Seagrove can still be a wonderful place in fall and winter(most especially November). If you are behind a windbreak, it can be as warm as you could want. The colors of the sea are different, more clear and beautiful. And you can roam stretches of pristine beaches without a trace of footprints, other than your own. Kayaking and bicycling are still available, as well as stand-up paddleboarding, and just sightseeing. Seaside is very busy from Thanksgiving through New Year Day. But if you just got to jump in the Gulf, then May is just about perfect.

MonicaQA

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
We have been here two weeks and it was horrible about 5 days ago pea soup June grass with Sargasum weed in the mix (that's what you see on webcam). It has been getting slowly better. I heard it is clear in Destin. We went to shell island and it was clear (a little sargasum in the water). Mexico beach is a short drive to some clear water also.

My sister & her family like the look of the 30-A area, but they only stay in Destin because of all the June Grass/Sargasum off 30A. I have posted before on here how it just seems like there is more of it off the 30A area (very curious as to why.) :dunno: Have gone to Shell Island & Destin & not seen it like in this area. I love clear, beautiful water, but refuse to stay in PCB or Destin (too commercial with too, too many condos) I will continue my love affair with 30A & hope for the best! If the June grass/Sargasum is too heavy, I guess I'll drive elsewhere a couple of days!

clarela

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2011
we will be arriving in 12 days, and I, too am concerned about the seaweed... it was so bad last year, it was difficult for my kids to enjoy the ocean and beach. Other than Destin, and PCB, where are some other areas not far from 30A that we could drive to to escape the seaweed if need be?

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Crystal Beach, south of Silver Sands Factory Stores.....the water is usually crystaline, but if the weather is bad, you can always shop! And you don't have to go into Destin or PCB.