• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Water Park for Children (and adults who wannabe children). Sonny's Barbecue (or any good barbecue with a fantastic salid bar). Hwy 331 4 lane bridge with bike lane and fishing access (no toll). Home grown produce farmers market. Outdoor concert stage for music concerts (could be an improved and expanded local football stadium that subs for concerts). Local News Television station. Seaweed control or business operation to make some use of it. Weekly community mullet fish fries at a beach park with grits, hushpuppies and swamp cabbage. More community sporting events (fishing tournaments, sailing tournaments, highschool football playoffs, etc.). I will be plenty satisfied if things remain pretty much the same also.

We have a couple of excellent barbeque places (Barefoot and Cocoon's) sorry, no salads. I'd love to attract more well-known musicians, but I prefer the size of the venues we have (Seaside, Gulf Place, Alys) And if anyone would come up with a great use, and a great harvesting scheme, for the seaweed and June grass, I'd give them a gold star!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
To reduce the June grass we need to clean up the oceans, stop dumping chemicals and trash into them, and severely reduce the chemicals washing into our rivers. It feeds on our pollution.

And the seaweed is part of a healthy beach ecosystem. Getting rid of it all would hurt the beach.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
To reduce the June grass we need to clean up the oceans, stop dumping chemicals and trash into them, and severely reduce the chemicals washing into our rivers. It feeds on our pollution.

And the seaweed is part of a healthy beach ecosystem. Getting rid of it all would hurt the beach.

How is the June Grass any different from seaweed. Doesn't something rely on it for food? Parenthetically, this seems to be the thickest J. Grass I've ever seen. I suppose the drought is partially responsible, but does the present of oil residue play a part in it?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I understand all that about the seaweed. I thought this was just a practice in fantasy. The seaweed is getting more prevalent because of the pollutions that all of us are putting into the ocean. It does not look like our life style's will allow the changes needed. I hope I am wrong. I am trying to do my part in reducing fertilizer use and being very aware of the affects my activities has on the environment. I never have gone on a cruise because of all the crap (literally) it puts into our oceans. I know I can do a lot more. But, in fantasy I like clear clean water without seaweed. However I have learned to enjoy the water with seemingly more and more seaweed (I think of it like a seaweed skin moisturizer). "In my fantasy" maybe some of the seaweed could be removed but just like I said I like this paradise just like it is :).

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Yes I have bought produce from Seaside but I was thinking on a bigger scale. Seaside is great but I have a big truck and can not park very easily. I have not tried the 331 place yet. I do not like the produce in grocery stores. I like produce that ripens without chemicals. I also like fresh salad bars in resturants but realize that the produce is not organic so I am expessing a conflicting fantasy regarding the "farmers market". I did not know that about the rise and fall of 30A tv. That is a shame. I also would like to know ALL the scientific evidence of oil and dispersants as it relates to everything in the ocean ecosystem. I have very little confidence that we will ever be presented with ALL the evidence. In an effort to move on I prefer to find ways with dealing with the problem- more seaweed that may or may not have anything to do with oil. I do not think any of us has that answer.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Algae feeds on phosphates, carbon, and nitrogen. We see more because of the increased chemicals from the dispersants and all of the fertilizers and other industrial and farming chemicals that wash into the Gulf via the Mississippi and other rivers. The dispersants were literally a drop in the bucket compared to all the other (more harmful) chemicals that are constantly washing into the ocean.

Reducing that runoff could decrease the amount of June grass and make the Gulf healthier - returning it to historically normal levels would not mess up the ecosystem because too much algae is bad for the ocean.

A place with a couple pool tables would be cool.

As far as not being able to park a large truck to go to the Farmer's Market, I can't help you. In tourist season I walk or ride a bike because I have no patience with trying to park there.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Thank you scooterbug44. I do understand and agree to some extent. The "drop in the bucket" is a relative phrase but millions of gallons of dispersants are not insignificant. I just do not trust the data that comes from BP or any research instititution that is sponsored by BP. Do you know if all beaches within 300 miles of the Mississippi have increased amounts of seaweed? Also, we do not know the full list of chemicals in the dispersants (there are partial lists available) and whether or not it has had an effect on the seaweed on sowal beaches. I would like to know but it is probably more realistic to just live with the extra seaweed and "clean around my own backdoor" as my grandmother would tell me.

You do not have to try and help me with parking? I just happen to like farmer's markets with more space thats all :). I also like the Seaside Farmers Market. The Sowal community is great just like it is...