• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Fishhead

Beach Comber
Apr 30, 2009
So I just got off the phone with the Rivard people who seemed terrified at the prospect of me renting a house for a tiny, casual beach wedding. They said that people are trying to discourage beach weddings and that I'd have to go through a planner. I am SO not a "wedding planner" kinda gal. I just wanted a few friends and family, some beers, some crab dip and hot dogs by pool, not a giant Kardashian-sized blowout! What's going on here? I've always loved Grayton and dreamed about a simple service on my favorite white sands. I feel so denied!

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Blame the irresponsible vacation rental homeowners who do nothing to control these type of commercial functions whichto often get out of control, leading to the detriment of neighbors ability to enjoy their privacy and who have the unfortunate circumstance to live in the sameresidential neighborhood. I have no sympathy for this segment of our business community which clearly have no regard for anyone else's property rights but only for their own desire to make a buck. The idea that South Walton will somehow be abandoned by the beach vacation crowd if this activity is restricted is ludicrous and typical of fear-mongering common among demagogues. The fewer drunks we have is a good thing.

Fishhead

Beach Comber
Apr 30, 2009
Sad...

Ah...I get it- irresponsible drunken idiots ruin it for normal, sane people. So what? I either submit to the Wedding Industrial Complex and rent a big, expensive cliche' ballroom, or go down to the courthouse? Goodbye, dreams of a relaxing, meaningful time with family at my favorite beach? Depressing...

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Unfortunately, the Kardashian-sized blowouts and bridal-industrial complex have gotten their hooks into the area and rather wrecked it for the dozen person wedding with ordained over the internet officiant and post-ceremony cookout crowd. There are about five different plans floating around right now at the county level involving regulating the bridal-industrial complex so they won't disturb the neighbors so much, and I can understand the rental agencies being a bit skittish right now when the county rules for beach weddings could significantly change not too far down the road.

Not sure what your timeframe is, but I'd try the state parks system. I know Eden Gardens will rent out the grounds for special events, but I'm not sure about their pricing.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Beach Comber
Apr 30, 2009
Bummer...anyone know any way around it, or should I reconsider my own (sadly) beach-free backyard?

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
ah...i get it- irresponsible drunken idiots ruin it for normal, sane people. So what? I either submit to the wedding industrial complex and rent a big, expensive cliche' ballroom, or go down to the courthouse? Goodbye, dreams of a relaxing, meaningful time with family at my favorite beach? Depressing...

yes!! It's about time the County responded to legitimate complaints from the taxpayers instead of always cowtowing to special interests who only want to make South Walton a lookalike extension of PC and Destin with their ticky-tacky neon-encrusted souvanier stores and wall to wall signs. Oh, by the way, your favorite beach exists in PC and Destin also. Don't other people who come here to spend relaxing, meaningful time with their families have a right to some peace and quiet without having a wedding reception nightmare next door which likely has been a problem for days and nights prior to the reception night?

Last edited:
First, let me say that I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. However, I do think you can still have your small wedding. Since I don't know where you're staying in Grayton I can't speak to your location specifically, but I can tell you that people do weddings like that all the time in the area. It's the large blowouts that are troublesome. It's really up to the owners of your rental property. If they don't want to work with you, there is probably a public beach access point nearby that you can use. Still, you will have to get a permit to do this to ensure no other events going on at the same time. Start by visiting visitsouthwalton.com and read the FAQs on their wedding page. I hope I've been helpful. In case you can't tell, I'm a wedding planner. :wave: Good luck!

Last edited: