• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MonicaQA

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
I would think that as long as it wasn't too big & the owners are okay with it, it would be fine. We have had great luck with VRBO.com for finding wonderful places to stay. On this site, you deal directly with the owners. Best wishes to you!

Wekick

Beach Comber
Jan 1, 2005
We go every other year, for the last 20 years as an extended family group and rent several condos usually. We have family dinners while we are there. One year we had a wedding on the beach, with minimal trappings and a family dinner afterwards. I've seen many weddings like that. I've also seen huge tents and lighting and music, etc so I think you can get away with it if it is quiet and unobtrusive. We had only 1 person not staying in the condos and we had adequate parking passes.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
If I were you, I would start over with VRBO and find a house you like. I don't think you are obligated to say that, by the way, you will be getting married while you are here. What you describe sounds no different to me than a low key family get together or the kind of small, intimate weddings that have taken place here for many years with no problems. I would also look into having the wedding it self at Grayton State Park. Give them a call and ask about that. It's a lovely place and likely will be far less crowded, and no parking issues.
Don't exceed the allowed heads in beds for the house you rent, make provisions for parking or shuttling folks around, and be consdierate of the neighbors, all of which it sounds like you are going to do anyway.
If it will be hurricane season, have a back up plan just in case.
And most importantly, have a grayt time and a grayt marriage!

fonesy

Beach Comber
Jul 4, 2006
Illinois
We had my daughter's small wedding at Grayton State Park just before sundown. Beautiful spot for the wedding, and lots of parking. No stairs to the beach.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's actually nice to hear that one of the rental agencies is letting people know that weddings aren't ok.

I know it's frustrating for you, but the huge weddings every weekend at these houses are even more frustrating for the neighbors.

They just finished redoing the Bramble Grove beach access in Seagrove. That might be a good option - lots of parking and a ramp to get people and wedding gear down to the beach.

Also believe that less than 50 people gathering on the beach does not require a permit.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
your small wedding

Public access is nice for everyone. Please don't give up on your dream wedding! I am a photographer, and I find that most people regard a small quiet wedding as a beautiful sight- certainly not a negative. This is a hot topic for South Walton right now, try to steer down the middle when reading the forum. :wave:

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
yes!! It's about time the County responded to legitimate complaints from the taxpayers instead of always cowtowing to special interests who only want to make South Walton a lookalike extension of PC and Destin with their ticky-tacky neon-encrusted souvanier stores and wall to wall signs. Oh, by the way, your favorite beach exists in PC and Destin also. Don't other people who come here to spend relaxing, meaningful time with their families have a right to some peace and quiet without having a wedding reception nightmare next door which likely has been a problem for days and nights prior to the reception night?

Sorry Tsutcli, you have it all wrong. The tourist industry has been here in Walton County for over 75 years, long before anyone could, let alone did, settle here as "full-time" residents. Just ask the Butler and Cessna families, the folks who started to tourist industry here in the county.

And, if you really understood the subject matter and the facts surrounding the Wedding/Events industry in this county and the amount of tax dollars it brings it, the "real" large taxpayers are the property owners who own short term rentals, own local businesses, and bring in the visitors of our county that pay all of the bed and a majority of the sales taxes.

So if being a "taxpayer" is your criteria for trying to shut down about 20% of Walton County's $1.7 Billion economy, then these "large taxpayers" should be considered in any such decision before the county government acts to do so.

The real issue here is that the Sheriff has chosen not to enforce the noise, parking and disturbing the peace ordinances. The Sheriff's failure has essentially created this situation of the county attempting to prevent short term renters from having legal family oriented events on their property through the use of the "Code Enforcement Board (CEB). Based on county documents, the CEB is nothing more than a "Kangaroo Court".

It is a pathetic response to the situation as it has created a situation where the group of "high-school class presidents" who attempt to run this county have no idea as to the fact that they have now laid the groundwork for destroying this county's economy once and for all.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
So I just got off the phone with the Rivard people who seemed terrified at the prospect of me renting a house for a tiny, casual beach wedding. They said that people are trying to discourage beach weddings and that I'd have to go through a planner. I am SO not a "wedding planner" kinda gal. I just wanted a few friends and family, some beers, some crab dip and hot dogs by pool, not a giant Kardashian-sized blowout! What's going on here? I've always loved Grayton and dreamed about a simple service on my favorite white sands. I feel so denied!

Congratulations. I would not worry about the local county nonsense. Have your family and friends get together and enjoy your special day. Anyone can get married and on the beach in this county. Anyone can have a get together on a property they own or rent. And there is no need to go through a "planner". That is just plain nonsense.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yes, the wedding industry is part of the larger tourism industry that brings in a great deal of revenue.

But that industry will still do quite well and will still bring in revenue while having weddings at PROPER venues. There are many.

Selling crack is also profitable, employs people, and draws in visitors - but that doesn't mean it is legal or that you want it going on at the house next door.

PTYAYA

Beach Comber
Mar 27, 2009
Our son and daughter-in-law were married on the beach in Seaside. Since it was an "out of town" wedding with family and friends coming from many places, we stayed at the Dunes of Seagrove. We had looked for large houses but we are very, very happy we chose the Dunes. Everyone had their privacy, beautiful pools and the beach is great. If you are getting married after Labor Day I believe the prices are reduced. Check with Carla at The Dunes of Seagrove.