• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

racy_t

Beach Comber
May 26, 2008
Very interested in Direct TV, have about had it with Mediacom problems and the rising prices.

Can anyone give me an overview. Do you need a dish mounted to the house or does in come in over the cable lines? Does a tech have to come install or does everything just come in the mail? Do you keep your mediacom internet service or get one from DirectTV? Flying blind, would appreciate any info - thank you:)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Very interested in Direct TV, have about had it with Mediacom problems and the rising prices.

Can anyone give me an overview. Do you need a dish mounted to the house or does in come in over the cable lines? Does a tech have to come install or does everything just come in the mail? Do you keep your mediacom internet service or get one from DirectTV? Flying blind, would appreciate any info - thank you:)

A tech comes out and installs a dish (about 18") on your house or on a pole where you have a clear view of the southern sky. Install is free with signup. I don't know if you can keep cable just for internet but centurytel DSL is more reliable. It comes over your existing phone line and also requires a tech to come out and install.

You may end up paying more but will likely be happier. Be sure to get HD DVR service and never watch commercials again.

FL Dawg

Beach Fanatic
Sep 12, 2006
I have had Directv for almost 20 years and never had a complaint. I moved to the area from Atlanta and have all of the Atlanta local channels including CBS. Its like I still live in Atlanta (i.e. I get to see Monica Kaufman tell me about the murders, traffic, car jackings, corrupt govt., school cheating scandals, drive by shootings, and the UGA pregame/postgame shows, etc.) without having to actually live all of those headaches associated with city living. It's a daily reminder of why I got the heck out of Atlanta.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I have had Directv for almost 20 years and never had a complaint. I moved to the area from Atlanta and have all of the Atlanta local channels including CBS. Its like I still live in Atlanta (i.e. I get to see Monica Kaufman tell me about the murders, traffic, car jackings, corrupt govt., school cheating scandals, drive by shootings, and the UGA pregame/postgame shows, etc.) without having to actually live all of those headaches associated with city living. It's a daily reminder of why I got the heck out of Atlanta.

Well I often describe SoWal as an Atlanta suburb. But if I were you I would cut those ties which would immediately improve your mental health. Especially the sports part. :lol:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
A couple of more points for Racy T. Basically, there are two ways to get tv. Cable (Mediacrap) or Satellite. (Direct or Dish- these are two separate providers. Both require the installed dish Kurt described.)
For internet, you can get it via cable (Mediacrap again) or via DSL through Century Tel, which is the landline phone provider. The DSL comes into the house through the phone line. You can get all these separately if you wish - for example, internet through Mediacrap and tv through Direct. And you can get internet via DSL through Century Tel with or without a landline telephone.
But there are deals available, and bundles available. Do your homework before you commit. For example, Century Tel bundles internet and Dish and landline. Compare packages and promotions - ask about promotions and specials if they are not offered immediately - and think through your needs and you may be able to pay less, not more.
Personally I would not keep Mediacrap for anything, even if it were free.
The sightline to the satellite for Dish is more to the southwest. Depending on where you are and what trees might be in the way, you might get better reception with one or the other, Dish or Direct. Check this out too before you sign up.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
One nice thing about being this low of a latitude is that the fixed satellites are also at a low latitude, and you get good signal when your dish is pointed upward at a nice steep angle, which means you don't need as much open space to have it all work as you do in places further north. There are plenty of dishes around here that look like they're effectively pointed at a concrete wall or building, but because of those angles, the signal comes through just fine from that positioning.

racy_t

Beach Comber
May 26, 2008
So prices are pretty comparable for both services, actually DIRECTV is a little less expensive but not much and does a pretty hard sell.

So bottom line in SRB which would you vote for Direct or Dish? I'm practically allergic to electronics so any help is appreciated:)

Tracy

Last edited:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I've been going back and forth on this for a month now, and it LOOKS like you can't get CBS on DirectTV here at all, and you only get CBS standard Def (no HD) on Dish.

CBS= SEC football, so this is a big deal.

Anyone have Direct or Dish in Sowal who can comment on this?