• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Companies hogging the beach with only profit in mind should take second seat to real people wishing to enjoy the beach with their families. If that is considered entitlement, I am all for it.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I am finding these guys annoying this summer. The last three or four times I have gone to the beach early, before they started setting up, I plopped my towel and bag down close to the water and then went swimming. Guys came along while I was in the water and set up sets of two and four chairs less than two feet from my stuff - in one case my stuff was now in the shade of one of the umbrellas. And, there was still plenty of space on the beach. I had to move. No problem for me but seems rude on their part.

cooper

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2008
What is there to stop someone from moving an unoccupied set up behind another set up and setting up their own set up?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
no, that's certainly not "entitlement". I wasn't aware that the chair companies were preventing people from using the beach accesses, I thought they were just getting out there first in the morning and getting the "prime" real estate. I can't believe how many people come down to the beach after 10 in the morning and are actually upset that there is no room anywhere near the water for them to set up.

It is, afterall, a business and the chair companies are doing what they can to entice people into using their equipment. Pretty basic business sense if you ask me.

This post bums me out. I'm glad all the rental companies don't have this attitude. The beach should be a friendly, noncompetitive place where people enjoy nature, no matter what time of day it is. My guess would be that a large majority of people who want to enjoy our beaches don't rent chairs. First come first serve sounds like the wrong policy.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
It's funny how we get used to things like beach umbrellas on the beach. I recently had some guests from California and I asked them what was the one thing that was noticeably different here than their beaches. Without hesitation, they said, "THE BLUE UMBRELLAS!" They were staying in WaterColor and couldn't believe how the pristine beaches were covered by umbrellas, most of which had no one sitting under them.

Tate10

Beach Comber
Aug 10, 2005
cleveland, ohio
Beach chairs 4u has become a real bummer. I chose seagrove because of the non competive nature of that beach. I could go to the beach anytime and get a front row spot with all the other owners/guest. Now I have to set my alarm at 6am just to get my stuff down to the beach before beach chairs 4u. Guest should not have to setup behind empty unrented chair setups that are right up front and so close you can't even sit two chairs inbetween them. If I wanted to sit behind a bunch of rentable beach chairs I would of bought in pc or destin. If a guest rents a setup then they should have that spot but that beach space should not be used by empty rentable setups.

Here is an idea for you (beach chairs 4u) If on average you sell 4 setups a day infront of a certain condo complex. spread out 4 setups and when you sell your 4th setup conveniently add a 5th and so forth. That way there isn't a bunch of wasted beach space with your empty chairs and unhappy people sitting behind empty setups.

Its real nice to have to tell your guest that seagrove is great because the beach isn't real crowded but make sure you get up early and get your stuff down there before the rental company takes up the whole beach.

MonicaQA

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
As a visitor & future resident, I can say I do NOT like all those chairs set up & them not being rented! There should be some kind of ordinance that no more than 2 umbrellas/chairs (which are not rented) can be set up at a time. I was out on the beach from 6:15 most mornings setting up with my husband & was back & forth until about 5:00 pm everyday. I saw that MANY umbrellas & chairs were unoccupied (no reserved tag, no beach towels or ANY kind of personal belongings there.)

The appeal of SoWal is that it's NOT Destin or PCB! After this vacation, it sure seemed like it might be headed that way!

I understand business, but about 50% of the chairs were unoccupied ALL day. We were there a week & that was the trend the ENTIRE time. We have rented from 2 of these companies in the past, but it was NEVER like it was this year!

Last edited:

MonicaQA

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
Beach chairs 4u has become a real bummer. I chose seagrove because of the non competive nature of that beach. I could go to the beach anytime and get a front row spot with all the other owners/guest. Now I have to set my alarm at 6am just to get my stuff down to the beach before beach chairs 4u. Guest should not have to setup behind empty unrented chair setups that are right up front and so close you can't even sit two chairs inbetween them. If I wanted to sit behind a bunch of rentable beach chairs I would of bought in pc or destin. If a guest rents a setup then they should have that spot but that beach space should not be used by empty rentable setups.

Here is an idea for you (beach chairs 4u) If on average you sell 4 setups a day infront of a certain condo complex. spread out 4 setups and when you sell your 4th setup conveniently add a 5th and so forth. That way there isn't a bunch of wasted beach space with your empty chairs and unhappy people sitting behind empty setups.

Its real nice to have to tell your guest that seagrove is great because the beach isn't real crowded but make sure you get up early and get your stuff down there before the rental company takes up the whole beach.

I hadn't seen your post until after I posted mine, but I couldn't agree with you more! Guests should NOT have to setup behind empty unrented chairs! It is VERY uncomfortable to cut between families because there is nowhere else to go through because the chair setups are so tight & so many!!

I love your idea for Beach Chairs 4U! Unfortunately, so many companies don't have that many employees working.I think they go back & forth between areas. On our last afternoon there, we wanted to rent a chair/umbrella setup because our canopy had been damaged & we needed shade. We were there 3 hours, with nobody from the company in sight! We ended up with a free set of chairs & an umbrella because we just sat there (amongst the many unrented chairs) waiting for someone to come so we could pay them. Sorry beach chair company, you lost out on $!

I just hate seeing Seagrove Beach losing it's charm....:sosad:

PAbeachlover

Beach Comber
Sep 4, 2005
Erie PA
I cannot imagine trying to get onto the beach through a wall of rental chairs. I guess that's why we come down in November. Still warm, very quiet, very few people on the beach. We go out at daybreak and walk as far as we care to and sometimes never see another human. Pure heaven!!!!