• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Even though this is the 5th year in a row that I have come across this form in my daughter's backpack, it never ceases to amaze me that this policy is still in existence. In 2011. Heck, it was a shock in 2005, since most communities were out of the stone age a while ago.

In the WCSD Student Code of Conduct, page 34, drum roll please...

Parent or Guardian Notice
Corporal Punishment
Agreement with Parent

I have to check a box- the yes box if I think it is OK for somebody to hit my child (uh, NO), or the no box if I prefer that didn't happen (uh, YES). Then I have to sign this piece of crap and send it back in- and I will have to place it in an envelope so she won't have to see that it might be an option for children to be hit at school.

And, like every year, I will write my little note of outrage that this sort of policy reflects badly on Walton County and does nothing to enhance the educational environment, blah blah blah. What a disgusting, backwards policy.

I encourage all WCSD parents to send in your notes of outrage about this archaic and disturbing policy with your signed form as well. How hard is it to remove this policy?

Waterbaddrinkwine

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2009
Point Washington
My son has spent the bulk of his life in Walton County schools and I don't really remember this being a problem. It's not like they are lining our kids up and beating them at the slightest indiscretion. I can't remember any of my son's friends ever talking about getting paddled or that anyone ever had. In a perfect world we'd just sit everyone down and talk about it and life would be good. (perfect being parental involvement etc., social economic status, and I could go on) Let's face it, some kids need a good swat on the ass to wake up. Everyone I grew up with since the 60s seem to have made it just fine!

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
Water..., like you, I have never had a problem with the issue of corporal punishment being a problem. If someone wants to change the law, they should start at the state level. We have two great kids that made it through the Walton County School System without any major drama or trauma. The bottom line is that kids should and shall behave themselves. There is a reason why our school district was allowed the opportunity to start early. Bottom line....the District is an "A" district/outstanding district. For the most part the district has done it right. I will be forever grateful for the fact that my grandchildren have the opportunity to attend Walton County District Schools.
Rock on,
Rocketman

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think we all agree our schools are terrific. The policy, however, is not relevant and really does not apply to how discipline is conducted in schools today. It is far past time to remove the policy and replace it with a more updated discipline policy. Why continually send out such an outdated policy which only serves to upset families who rely on their schools to provide a safe and secure educational setting based on best educational practices?

Last edited:

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
Teresa:
I totally agree. The policy is outdated. However, if disruptive kids prevent other children from learning because of their dysfunctional behavior there should be consequences for them beyond corporal punishment. Your point is "well" taken....I commend you on your perception.

Rock on,
Rocketman

Imygyn is just starting 6th grade at the new ECMS and I just finished filling out the ream of paperwork she brought home. I am very happy to report that this distasteful release form was nowhere to be found in the packet I was told to fill out. I did find it in the Walton County handbook that was included almost as an afterthought, but I was told to just keep that as a resource and not fill it out. Looks like the new school is showing progress beyond just the technology they offer! ;)

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I did have the release to sign for my children at Bay Elem. and Seaside. However, there was a note inside my middle school son's policy handbook that said the school district was in the process of revising some of their policies and would be sending out the revisions in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if the corporal punishment policy is one that is being revised.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I did have the release to sign for my children at Bay Elem. and Seaside. However, there was a note inside my middle school son's policy handbook that said the school district was in the process of revising some of their policies and would be sending out the revisions in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if the corporal punishment policy is one that is being revised.

I hope you are right. It's like finding a rotten egg in the happy first-day-of-school backpack!

Regarding some of the comments above, Walton County does not have A-rated schools because of corporal punishment. They are A-rated because of the FCAT scores, right? So unless the students are being beaten into FCAT submission, corporal punishment does not factor in to school ratings. And in reality if the kids never get paddled, then why have this blight in our school system?

Also, ratings based on FCAT scores really don't matter much to me, and shouldn't to you. Big whoopie doo. My test is going to be how prepared my kid is for college when he gets there next week.

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
My son has spent the bulk of his life in Walton County schools and I don't really remember this being a problem. It's not like they are lining our kids up and beating them at the slightest indiscretion. I can't remember any of my son's friends ever talking about getting paddled or that anyone ever had. In a perfect world we'd just sit everyone down and talk about it and life would be good. (perfect being parental involvement etc., social economic status, and I could go on) Let's face it, some kids need a good swat on the ass to wake up. Everyone I grew up with since the 60s seem to have made it just fine!

Yes - and our country is in such great hands. :sarc: I respect your opinion but it seems this type of flippant attitude is harmful, and I suspect a major reason we have such a violent society.

There may not be a direct link, but common sense says an eye for an eye just makes everyone blind. Our kids are who we teach them to be. Violence teaches violence. Teaching respect through nonviolence is the better way. But admittedly it is harder and most people don't have the patience or ability to teach peace AND respect. We like immediate results. When a kid does wrong and you teach him or her to make a better choice, they don't always learn it right away. But they do learn. They just might need to mature more before they begin to make better choices on their own.

Violence is so cheap and easy. It is a cancer and the only cure is education. Ironic, ain't it?

Also, I wouldn't say being involved in several wars at the moment means you and your friends are in fine shape. Not to mention the everyday violence around us all the time. But we can always blame Hollywood and video games I suppose.

Walton County, listen to Jdarg.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Also, ratings based on FCAT scores really don't matter much to me, and shouldn't to you. Big whoopie doo. My test is going to be how prepared my kid is for college when he gets there next week.

And I'd love to hear what grade you give to the Walton County schools for that test!