• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Derek T

Beach Crab
Aug 9, 2011
Hello all. I was wondering how safe it is to swim in the local lakes such as Western Lake, Draper Lake, etc. In other words should I have any concerns about running into any lake creatures? All of the lakes are so beautiful and inviting, I feel as though I'm not taking advantage of them simply driving by them all the time. I guess what I'm asking is, if I go swimming what are the chances I will be swallowed by a gator?

Have a great weekend everybody!

Derek

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
There are gators in the lakes!

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
Sometimes there is some biguns. The gulf is better for swimming,

Forget gators, it is the brain eating amoeba you should fear.
Right, after the girl near Orlanda died. From what I've read,

Just 30 people have died in Florida from the rare brain infection since 1937, never mind how many people have died from drowning (a quick google found 7000 persons drown a year in the US, roughly 20 a day), being stung or bitten by a creature of the sea or by a moving vehicle in the water. At present authorities suggest people wear nose plugs while swimming in fresh water rivers, lakes and pools.
I talked to a table full of Ph.D.s in biology who I was sitting next to at a faculty meeting this week. They said it's worse if the water is warm, stagnant or not moving much, and if the bottom of the lake is disturbed.

I live on Eastern Lake and have swum in the outflow area probably 30-40 times this spring and summer with no difficulties. I have never seen a gator in Eastern Lake these last 4 years and I often fish in my canoe in the back marshy spot by the trail and picnic table. I can't vouch for the other lakes, but Eastern is safe...and gorgeous! As for the amoeba, I believe they need fresh water, not brackish and filled with tannic acids. ;)

Last edited:

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
The outflow can definitely be fun! Don't forget about Morrison Springs if you want to do some exhilarating fresh water swimming. Free tip: Now that Walton kids are back in school, now is the time to go to the springs on weekdays.

I live on Eastern Lake and have swum in the outflow area probably 30-40 times this spring and summer with no difficulties. I have never seen a gator in Eastern Lake these last 4 years and I often fish in my canoe in the back marshy spot by the trail and picnic table. I can't vouch for the other lakes, but Eastern is safe...and gorgeous! As for the amoeba, I believe they need fresh water, not brackish and filled with tannic acids. ;)
Actually I think you're right. The people I talked to don't know about the "special" lakes in SoWal.

Maybe those who are concerned should avoid jumping off docks into the lakes and should wear nose plugs when swimming. :dunno:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I don't know whether the local lakes are a problem, but very familiar with the problem in central Florida.
It’s not news that this summer’s been a scorcher, especially down South and
in the Midwest. The high temperatures have gone a long way in both heating up
and shrinking the size of lakes and ponds.This kind of environment, hot, shallow,
stagnant water, is perfect for the single-celled amoeba to reproduce and
thrive.

Read more: http://www.askdrmanny.com/dr-manny-says-rare-but-deadly-amoeba-warrants-concern/#ixzz1VXKGsOkI

Last edited: