• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beck

Beach Crab
Aug 18, 2011
The prices of renting a regular house have gone totally and completely CRAZY! Im not sure what has happened around here but if everyone has gotten raises.....I CERTAINLY HAVENT! LOL The economy is still down, gas is still outrageous....so why in the world does all the renters actually believe anyone can afford a regular 2 to 3 bedroom house for $1400-$2000 per month plus deposit....???? REALLY PEOPLE??????:lol:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I think you mean rental owner?

It's not about raises. There is a shortage of long-term rentals in SoWal. Owners will set rent as high as they can which is called free market. A smart owner will go a bit under the prevailing rate and get a good renter in quick instead of losing a month or two of rent. The good places at fair rent don't even hardly hit the market but get filled by a friend of a friend.

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
I think you mean rental owner?

It's not about raises. There is a shortage of long-term rentals in SoWal. Owners will set rent as high as they can which is called free market. A smart owner will go a bit under the prevailing rate and get a good renter in quick instead of losing a month or two of rent. The good places at fair rent don't even hardly hit the market but get filled by a friend of a friend.

That's what I did! I'd rather have someone I know and can trust for less $ then playing renter roulette.

p.s. Post 50! Bam!

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
The prices of renting a regular house have gone totally and completely CRAZY! Im not sure what has happened around here but if everyone has gotten raises.....I CERTAINLY HAVENT! LOL The economy is still down, gas is still outrageous....so why in the world does all the renters actually believe anyone can afford a regular 2 to 3 bedroom house for $1400-$2000 per month plus deposit....???? REALLY PEOPLE??????:lol:

Supply and Demand...

I have to agree with the original poster here. I noticed when I lived there that most of the locals there were either in the service industry or artists. I somehow managed to find a decent "deal", if you will, but had horrible neighbors and now the entire building is for sale. But, yes, I agree that the prices are crazy...especially when you consider that if you aren't in the service industry, most places in the area are only wanting to pay $10/hr. Even at full-time, 40 hrs a week, is $1600/mo... Makes no sense. Might as well go ahead and put it back on the vacation rental circuit and let it sit empty for half the year. I MIGHT pay that amount of money they are asking in that area for a home I purchased, assuming I found a decent paying job in that area (ha), but to throw that amount of $ away every month? Absolutely not. And I'm the kind of renter you'd want. Clean, quiet, etc. Just my 2 cents though. :D

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Also... it's SoWal... it's gorgeous and all that, but it's priced like Miami and NY... places one might actually find a salaried job.

I live in New York and trust me, Sowal rental rates are no where close to what rental rates are in NY.