• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
My mom just gave me a good old fashioned Italian screaming, laying on the guilt thick with her words. Not all that effective, but... everyone has their way.

The schools, however, have a responsibility to teach acceptable behavior (along with academics) using methods which are effective, respectful, consistent, and reflect advanced practices (not practices from last century).

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Corporal Punishment Policy

As most of you know, JDARG and I usually agree on matters regarding our school district. And, I have to say, I am encouraged by the positive comments on this board regarding the district. We are certainly progressing throughout the county, but, with any organization the size of our district, there remains problems and concerns, but, generally, we have a very good system that values kids and prepares them for the future. With that said, our corporal punishment policy is certainly a compromise. We drafted a policy that allow parents a choice. Ultimately, under the policy, the parents decide if corporal punishment at the school is best for their child. As a parent who will have a kidergarten student (insert your joke about my age here!:D), my wife and I have not decided if we will allow it or not. The policy is an attempt to allow the form of punishment for the parents who want it and an opt out for the parents who do not.

As for the extra curricular activities policy; well, that one is mine. As most of you know, I am a huge supporter of extra curricular activities and believe that sports, art, music, etc., are a big part of a child's education. However, it is extra curricular and participation should be an earned. When you play football at South Walton High School you represent the school, community, your family and friends. You are esteemed and should be held to a higher standard for behavior. If you commit a crime and you are under the supervision of the State of Florida, it is my opinion that you have forfeited that right to represent your school and community. Once the supervision is complete, you should play. But, do you really want a kid who is wearing an ankle bracelet for supervision to travel on a bus with other kids, take the bracelet off and then participate? I hope the policy informs kids that if they behave badly, then, one consequence is that they will have to sit on the sidelines until they have completed their sentence.

Most coaches, sponsors, embraced the policy and even when it has had to be enforced, we have not always lost the kid. The adults do a pretty good job of making sure the kid understands that is it part of their punishmentand and they can come back, if they behave.

I know some people think the policy is harsh, but, I really believe it has been successful in encouraging kids to behave. Thanks, guys....

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thank you for the info Mark. I would rather see time off from extra-curricular activities than spanking- the messages sent for the first is about consequences for bad behavior and for the second is just violence.

It appears that individual schools in the state can opt out of the the corporal punishment policy. If, as it has been stated, the South Walton schools are truly not really using it, then it would be great if we could join the schools in many other districts in Florida and other states and just remove it from the code of conduct. Let's start being at the forefront on all aspects of the educational process, and not be tagging along behind playing catchup. Even what many consider "not a big deal" just chips away at Walton County not being the best we can be.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Thanks JDARG. I believe individual school districts can opt out. Given the incredible diversity in our county, I thought the individual parent opt out was a decent compromise.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks JDARG. I believe individual school districts can opt out. Given the incredible diversity in our county, I thought the individual parent opt out was a decent compromise.

The existence of such a policy sends the wrong message to kids, families, educators, imo. The fact that physical punishment is an option, inflicted by educators, reflects upon what kind of educational philosophy and practices are embraced by the school district. I personally know of more than one family who refuses public education in Walton County - in large part because of the existence of that policy - it is the principle behind the policy - the idea of it being acceptable to educators in the first place. Having the OPTION to have your kid spanked or not doesn't quite overcome the bad idea of the policy to exist in the first place.

Regarding the policy of removing privileges such as extracurricular activities - that is not new to most school districts - and I do believe extracurricular activities should be earned. They should be viewed as a privilege for students who follow the rules and do well in school.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I doubt corporal punishiment would be effective in every school in our district or for every family in our district. I understand you concerns about having the policy in place.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I've never understood why it is legal in some schools for an adult to strike a child yet it is illegal for an adult to strike another adult. Striking a child in any way is just not the way to go about incorporating change. Sure, it may get there attention, but there are better ways - always.

I'm with you 100% jdarg!