• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tripinbrums

Beach Comber
May 21, 2009
There used to be a place called Commordore's Retreat ( I think) . It was down the little road near Resort Quest and Summer's Edge area. Does anyone know what it's called now. I cannot find it listed anywhere.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's still called Commodore's Retreat, but it's been abandoned for several years now. The story is that they attempted major rennovations, and then midway through the process, they ran into major construction coast overruns, they had to go back and try to assess the owners for substantially more money, and many of them were already "underwater" or worse, and the construction remodel was abandoned unfinished. It's about the worst case scenario I've seen in SoWal.

Tripinbrums

Beach Comber
May 21, 2009
Oh no! sorry I brought it up. I just remembered someone I knew stayed there about 6 yrs ago and loved it, so I thought we might try it this fall. Hate that so much because it was near where the lake and ocean met, so I thought it would be great for little ones. Do you guys know of another set of condos near that area?

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Next to Commodores is Eastern Shores I and II. I has been rebuilt from the ground up and looks really nice. II is nice too with several renovated, just older. Great area for the entire family.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
We always stayed at Eastern Shores when my children were young. You can get a ground floor and walk right out to the beach. Very convenient with little ones. It does not have a pool, but this never bothered us. Go to vrbo.com and you'll find some listings. Good luck!

ThirtyAGal

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2007
Tennessee
We loved Commodore's, however have also stayed at Eastern Shores a lot. We really enjoy it because we can be on the ground floor and walk right out onto the beach. Also is a very nice, friendly place. We always meet others there whose company we enjoy. Just be careful to pick out a unit that has been updated. We have stayed in one periodically since 1998 that has never been touched. Furniture is broken and the whole condo needs an update. This year we selected one in the newer building.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Other beach-front condos and townhomes on that stretch are:

Eastern Shores (I and II)
Leeward (I and II) -- one of these was destroyed awhile back and it looks like new construction is complete now.
Ramsgate Townhomes (4 units)

There's also Dolphin Watch I & II

It is a shame what happened to Commodores. Every time I go down there I'm surprised nothing is still happening after several years and it's beginning to become an eye sore.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We have stayed four areas on 30A. That street by Eastern Lake is nice. Shame about the Commodore. We stayed there twice. I wouldn't hesitate to recomment that stretch to others or stay there again ourselves. (We've also been at Grayton Beach, Seagrove West, and Seaside.) Ellen