• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ATrailRunners

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2011
Just wondering if anyone else is hearing stories or seeing the black bear that has been hanging around the west end of 30A lately?
Two weeks ago my neighbor reported the bear going through his trash and then Sunday night right at dusk I was coming home from Publix in Sandestin and a bear ran across 98 right in front of me (myself and the truck next to me had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting it)!!!! It came out of the woods just east of the doughnut hole and ran into the woods on the north side of 98..
I guess we will keep to running on the sidewalks during the daytime for now...

ronnadavis2

Beach Comber
Sep 2, 2009
Seacrest
I saw a big black bear yesterday at 7:45 am. I was driving East on 98 and was a few miles before the turn to Rosemary, so around Seacrest, and he was right at the edge of the woods looking out at 98. We made eye contact and he then turned and went back into the trees.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sad - Hwy 98 and bears don't mix. I guess the lure of garbage is strong. Doesn't seem to be as much bear talk this year as last.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Just wondering if anyone else is hearing stories or seeing the black bear that has been hanging around the west end of 30A lately?
Two weeks ago my neighbor reported the bear going through his trash and then Sunday night right at dusk I was coming home from Publix in Sandestin and a bear ran across 98 right in front of me (myself and the truck next to me had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting it)!!!! It came out of the woods just east of the doughnut hole and ran into the woods on the north side of 98..
I guess we will keep to running on the sidewalks during the daytime for now...

I received a call from a neighbor last Sunday telling me a black bear was spotted in my garbage on the west end. I guess it's true?:shock:

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
Search on "bear"

If you do a search of sowal.com posts that contain the word "bear" you'll be amazed at how many bear sightings there have been on and near 30-a. (I posted my own sighting a few weeks ago.) Apparently they're all over 30-A. Unfortunately bears are high on my list in response to the question "Do you have any phobias?" that was posted a while back. Stephen Colbert also has a bear phobia.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
If you do a search of sowal.com posts that contain the word "bear" you'll be amazed at how many bear sightings there have been on and near 30-a. (I posted my own sighting a few weeks ago.) Apparently they're all over 30-A. Unfortunately bears are high on my list in response to the question "Do you have any phobias?" that was posted a while back. Stephen Colbert also has a bear phobia.

A lot of those are for Bear Bryant. Sleep with a teddy bear and maybe that will help.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
I didn't know that many Ole Miss "Black Bear" Fans lived in SoWal.....

xtrooper976

Beach Comber
Feb 26, 2010
We were walking in our neighborhood (Courtyards of Santa Rosa) on Thompson Rd about 10pm a few weeks ago and walked up on a bear going through a bag of trash and two nights ago we were riding through Cypress Breeze and saw a bear walking through someone's back yard.

30ATrailRunners

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2011
black bear cub

Heard on the trail last friday that a black bear cub was hit by a car on 98 near the east end of Pt Washington. Did any one else hear about this?