• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nodilberthere

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2007
This post bums me out. I'm glad all the rental companies don't have this attitude. The beach should be a friendly, noncompetitive place where people enjoy nature, no matter what time of day it is. My guess would be that a large majority of people who want to enjoy our beaches don't rent chairs. First come first serve sounds like the wrong policy.
Bravo. (Aren't there any smiley-face-clapping-doohickeys anymore?)

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
I come to the beach to get away from the stress of it all... the traffic, the crowds, the pollution. The last thing I want to concern myself with is "beating people to the punch", and worry about confrontation if I move something that isn't being used. As property owners/taxpayers, isn't there someone we can speak to about this? If the consensus is we don't like it, how do we change it? As business owners, there must be some responsibility and consideration yes?

Red Dawg

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2008
SoWal
There should be an emergency lane open all the way from the steps to the water, for ems. If the chairs folks don't have orange cones and a lane for rescue personnel to access the beach, call the sheriff office at 267-2000, they will send an officer down to correct the situation. That way you have an open area to walk to the water without squeezing between set-ups.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I believe former complaints about excessive chairs/private beach crapola have made it so the "public" sand going from the stairs to the water is where they set up most chairs.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Why not pay for a setup from one of the vendors? They are just as entitled to the public beaches as anybody, property owner OR tourist. If you don't like being behind them, get up before 6:30 and get your spot before they get out there.

FYI in most areas (all except for Sunrise between goatfeathers and ed walline), the vendors are not require to remove their equipment from the beach completely. Moving it up to the base of the dune or sand fencing is all they are required to do.

This "entitlement" that a lot of property owners and especially visitors feel they have for the beach is hilarious.

Does this mean that I can leave my beach chairs under the beach access we use overnight as well? I thought we had to bring all of our stuff off the beach and I thought we weren't allowed to leave beach chairs or anything under the shared beach access. Can anyone leave stuff under the beach accesses overnight or just the beach chair companies?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
No. You have to take your stuff off the beach.

I don't know why they get to leave their crap on there, but it is even more important to put stuff away this weekend as we are supposed to get heavy wind and rain.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
They are not allowed. If it's a company take a picture of it and send it to code enforcement, TDC and post it on here. It will stop...