• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LowProfiling

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Sandestin
Cant find anything in Google...

Was on my paddle board yesterday evening off Four Mile Village. I saw several small (24-36 inch) sharks, that were swimming around me. Very neat, they were somewhat following me it seemed, or I was trying to follow them.

Can't seem to find a photo of one to determine what kind it was. It had a Mako look to it, in regard to very sharp edges (nose, dorsal) The one thing I noticed that should separate it would be it had white on the end of it's flippers (something tells me they are not called flippers, but I hope get the idea).

Their overall body appeared to be rather blue.

Thanks for any real factual answers someone could provide.

LowProfiling

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Sandestin
Thank you

I was told this past weekend by some fellow boarders they are Black Tip we are seeing as well. They got pretty close to me, and we were pretty close to the shore.

I was thinking about trying to jump off my board and grabbing one for a minute to get a closer look, but they sure take off fast once they feel as if they (or I) am close enough.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Black tip sharks don't have white tips on the end of their fins. They have black tips. Wavewatcher's picture appears to be a blacktip which are very common in the area.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
It's my understanding the bay is a nursery for black tip.... I don't know the cycle, but the babies have to migrate out at some point. I saw a baby black tip up close to shore.... followed him along the shoreline. He was maybe a foot long , 18 inches at best. That was late July of last year. Anybody know if there is time to expect more activity? It's hard for me to get a grasp on the scale of the shark in the picture above, doesn't look too newbie though. Anyway, it sounds like the thread is talking about two different species. You can't really miss the distinctive black tips on the fins of the black tip shark.... unless maybe it goes through some changes?? idk