• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=872

We recycle many materials at the Central Landfill, including:

• Metal (all types)
  • Tires
  • Plastics (No. 1 and No. 2)
  • Corrugated Cardboard
  • Aluminum Cans
  • Newspapers, Magazines, Telephone Books, White Copy Paper
  • Used Motor Oil (used motor oil stations are located around the County)

The County makes it easy for you to recycle in several ways:
  • Blue Recycle Trailers
  • Dirty MFR - Recycleables are removed from a conveyor line at the materials recycling facility ant the County Landfill
  • Used Motor Oil Stations
  • Community Cleanup Days - for larger household items like furniture, white goods (such as appliances), tires, and other materials

Additional recycling information:

Motor Oil - Accepted free of charge at many automotive stores
Rechargeable Batteries - Accepted free of charge at some Hardware Stores
Cell Phones - http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/partnerships/plugin/cellphone/index.htm
Computers - http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/partnerships/plugin
Fishing Line - http://myfwc.com under monofilament recovery
Print Cartridges - Accepted at many office supply stores
Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL) bulbs - Accepted at some Hardware Stores
Plastic bags - Accepted at most grocery stores and thrift stores
Earth911.com offers additional local recycling information.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Why isn't glass being recycled anymore?

The labels have been taken off the recycling containers. It now only reads "Cans."

This just doesn't make much sense to me.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Why isn't glass being recycled anymore?

The labels have been taken off the recycling containers. It now only reads "Cans."

This just doesn't make much sense to me.

There has been a problem finding a market for the glass so it has recently been land disposed. If a market could be found we would gladly recycle glass. We will continue to search for a market for the glass but in the meantime, we will utilize the trailer space for the more voluminous recyclable materials such as plastic which we can easily market. Thank you all for recycling.

Janice Floyd Engineering Technician
Walton County Public Works
117 Montgomery Circle DeFuniak Springs, Florida 32435
(850)892-8108

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Thanks, y'all! I know about BlueBinz, I just worried that if the county isn't recycling glass, then he wouldn't be able to find a place to recycle it either.

Also, I'd rather not have to pay extra to have my stuff recycled if I have already worked out a convenient system of taking our recycling. Nothing against the company or it's charges, it's just that we have the trailers within 3 miles of our house, so that has been convenient for us to just drop off our recyclables while running errands.

I simply think it's sad because I prefer glass to plastic containers. Our family of 5 typically has less than a kitchen-size bag of trash each week between composting and recycling. I'd like to keep it that way. I'll call and see if BluBinz has found a place to recycle glass. Thanks again!

JMT

Beach Lover
Aug 5, 2009
Seagrove Beach, Fl
Hey Guys..
I am happy to see this thread if only to see the topic being talked about! The glass thing is a tough one; The supply of recycled glass well exceeds the demand right now. It's also very color specific.. separated into clear, green, brown, etc. So when all of that glass is ground into cullet, it's hard for manufacturers to color-match with the recycled glass. Also chemical components are different in different types of glass, so the glass guys are only re-using a small percentage of the cullet as to not compromise their "new" glass. At the end of the day, I think it would be better if people just found new ways to reduce and re-use glass. But it is also the least harmful recyclable material if it does end up in a landfill, I mean it's mostly fused sand? That being said, I will be on the lookout for any new market around here for the glass. I don't have one yet Organicmama! ha.. And I don't blame you for using the trailers! I encourage people to do it any way they want! I would like to give a shout-out to my customers, though. Together we have helped recycle over 2 1/2 tons of material since we started in May! Just think how much energy, raw material, environmental health, and money we will save when everyone gets on board! I'm just trying to help that process and make it convenient for everyone down here in our beautiful community! Sorry for the longest post ever! JMT Blu-Binz

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Is there a way for us to increase the demand for recycled glass somehow? Or can we implement a glass reuse program? Denmark is at 98% reusable for its glass containers.