• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
I wonder how Notre Dame will fit into all of this. Obviously, they have a strong preference to remain independent in football and stay apart of the Big East in all other sports, but with the collapse of the Big East they would lose that option. Could the Big 10 just hold out and not allow Notre Dame to become a partial member?

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Baylor won't have any reason to threaten to sue if/when TX,OK,OSU,T-Tech head to the Pac-12. The Big 12 will be officially dead. Mizzou will be leaving, leaving nothing left but the baby schools. A merger is in discussion with the leftovers of the Big12/Big East but that would more than likely be a new conference.

BTW..per ESPN. OK BOR has given the green light to look into the move. TX BOR to meet later today and OSU BOR on Wed. I suspect they will follow the same direction.

The University of Oklahoma's board of regents granted school president David Boren the authority to take action regarding conference realignment on Monday.
The move, just hours before their Texas counterparts were expected to do the same during a meeting in Austin, clears the way for the Sooners to apply formally to the Pac-12, with whom they have been undergoing discussions in recent days on how to make the schools' addition to the conference work.

Wouldn't be surprised if announcements to the Pac/W are done by week's end....

Crystal ball still holding true....

Mizzou BOC to meet on Thursday to discuss the conference issues....and now this.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/tentative_plan_for_mizzou_to_j.html

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6998751/pac-12-conference-decides-expand-further

The league's presidents and chancellors voted late Tuesday night to reaffirm their decision to stay at 12 members.

So I guess we are right back where we were with Baylor holding Texas A&M (possibly Missouri?) hostage while the Big 12 lives to see another day, for now.

Granted, this could all change by tomorrow afternoon, but for now, A&M has no clear way of escaping.

As for Missouri, I guess they learned nothing from their embarrassing situation last year. :roll:

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
The science of arrogance

The University of Texas Department of Psychology everybody! :clap::clap:

Think you’re better than everyone else? You may not be using your brain.

People who view themselves with rose-colored glasses actually are using less of their frontal lobes than people who have more realistic views of themselves, a UT researcher has discovered.

It may help scientists better understand brain functions in seniors or people who suffer from depression or other mental illnesses. It could also have implications for recovering methamphetamine addicts, whose frontal lobes are often damaged by drug use and who can overestimate their ability to stay clean.

The subjects who viewed themselves in a very positive light used their orbitofrontal cortex less than the other subjects. This region of the frontal lobe is generally associated with reasoning, planning, decision-making and problem-solving.

Some subjects who had accurate views of themselves showed four times more frontal lobe activation than the most extreme “rose-colored glasses” wearer in the study.

http://www.utexas.edu/alumni-friends/research-matters/science-of-arrogance

Last edited by a moderator:

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
I do not see how adding Missiouri and Texas A&M makes college football's best conference any better:

Clemson
Miami
FSU
South Florida

Take your pick-any of them make better since than Missiouri.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Buz, it's all about money and market share, especially with the addition of aTm. They will now have a large market in Texas open to them. I would agree with the Mizzou consideration not helping with either the money or market share. The four that you mention really don't open up the market for the SEC AND creates more issues for their current members, S.C., GA and FL Don't see any of those four coming in unless they open the flood gates.