• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Moneybags

Beach Comber
May 17, 2006
Alabama
I know it is not Sowal but anyone have an opinion of St George Island as to things to do and also real estate investment

We looked at St. George and decided to buy in Seagrove instead. There were several reasons:
1. Beaches are prettier
2. More to do
3. For rental income we felt we'd do better in SoWal
4. Elevation. We are about 25' above sea level, St. George is right at sea level. I like our chances with a
storm surge better than there.

On the flip side, it is much quieter there, and I like the fact that you can own a house with a dock for your boat and still walk to the beach.

Moneybags

Beach Comber
May 17, 2006
Alabama
:banging::banging:Thanks a bunch JT - very interesting - I possibly have a chance get in very right and I agree on 1,2 and 4 - plus from where I am it is also a farther destination - and I love Sowal and have never been to SGI - thanks again -

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
We used to vacation every year at St. George and we loved it. JT is right. It's the perfect place to go slow and enjoy the secluded beaches. But, there wasn't enough golf for my husband and we came to Sowal. We love it here. Lots for everyone to do and see. But.......sometimes I miss sitting on my deck and having my own beach with nobody on it even in the height of summer.

Some of our best friends own there. It's a 4 hour drive to South Walton for us, and it takes 1.5 hours longer to get to St. George from where we live. It is less crowded than South Walton, but we wouldn't go as often just due to the driving time and the lack of amenities there. We'd rather be in South Walton.

But if South Walton becomes Destin East/PCB West due to an abundance of big boxes and chain restaurants, we'd have to reconsider.