• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Magee

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2011
Miramar Beach Florida
Walton County will have 18 delegates go to Orlando this week to Presidency 5 Republican Conference. Pat and I are proud to be two the 18 delegates. On Saturday, all delegates from the entire state of Florida will be conducting a straw poll to see which candidate for President has the strongest ability to be elected in 2012.

I would like to invite feedback from SoWal readers on who you think would be the best candidate for the Republican Party. Again, this is strictly for the Republican Party. Several of the other 18 delegates are subscribers to SoWal, I am sure that they will follow this thread we want to know what your feelings are.

Many thanks,
John and Pat Magee
Delegates Walton County Presidency 5

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
Ron Paul. The U.S. is, for the most part, 50/50 Republicans/Democrats. He draws Independents and disenfranchised Democrats. The swing voters decide elections i.m.o.. He also pulls younger folks and, of course, Libertarians. He is not a Washington insider. He doesn't pander to any specific group. He gets ignored or misrepresented by media. He's been consistent in what he says and does for over 20 years.

Last edited:

ReginaR

Beach Comber
Wow I am surprised there are not hundreds of replies to this thread considering how important it is. I like several of the candidates and will vote for any of them if needed but since our biggest goal is to defeat Obama I have to say (as a part time northerner and part time Floridian) that Romney/Rubio would be the best to win in 2012. I'm just not seeing the northerners flocking to Perry like we do down here. Don't think the independents will lean his way.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Wow I am surprised there are not hundreds of replies to this thread considering how important it is. I like several of the candidates and will vote for any of them if needed but since our biggest goal is to defeat Obama I have to say (as a part time northerner and part time Floridian) that Romney/Rubio would be the best to win in 2012. I'm just not seeing the northerners flocking to Perry like we do down here. Don't think the independents will lean his way.

It's the first time I've seen this thread and I changed the title. Some folks may be hesitant to talk politics because the political forum, TV, movies and other off topic threads were merged to the lounge. Politics is fine as long as it is respectful.

Recently someone who follows things closely on this forum posted that politics was banned. I replied that politics aren't banned but malcontents are. Her reply was that you couldn't have one without the other. That may be, we shall see.

The consensus among the general population is that there isn't a great choice for a Republican nominee. It's sad that it has come down to the question of who can beat Obama instead of a real choice of candidates with real solutions. In this climate you'd think there would be a few good candidates step up eyeing an easy victory.

Have we seen the last of Sarah Palin? She may strike a pose on a white horse. Can she ride?

ReginaR

Beach Comber
Most of the people I have spoken with think we have several great candidates with real solutions not that there is no great choice. Try picking the best one to appeal to non republicans in the general election is all I'm saying. I would never claim to know what the consensus is among the general population. A good geographical blend paired with a moderate and conservative is a good ticket.

Magee

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2011
Miramar Beach Florida
It was an extremely exciting opportunity to be at this debate and all the delegates left talking knowing that on Saturday, we were going to have to participate in a straw poll to get an idea who would be the best GOP candidate. At this moment, it would be safe to say that there are some new shining stars who came through tonight. This is based on the overall conversation of the delegates; it will be interesting to see how the vote goes. I am asking all my SoWal friends to comment and tell me who they think was the strongest for whom they think will be a good candidate.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The two best candidates in the debate don't have a chance of getting the nomination, partially because of the close mindedness of leaders of the Republican party. They are Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
It's the first time I've seen this thread and I changed the title. Some folks may be hesitant to talk politics because the political forum, TV, movies and other off topic threads were merged to the lounge. Politics is fine as long as it is respectful.

Recently someone who follows things closely on this forum posted that politics was banned. I replied that politics aren't banned but malcontents are. Her reply was that you couldn't have one without the other. That may be, we shall see.

The consensus among the general population is that there isn't a great choice for a Republican nominee. It's sad that it has come down to the question of who can beat Obama instead of a real choice of candidates with real solutions. In this climate you'd think there would be a few good candidates step up eyeing an easy victory.

Have we seen the last of Sarah Palin? She may strike a pose on a white horse. Can she ride?

Obviously they have differences, but who are they going to represent, the people or the party.